Lowering the Milly

mts

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a beast... I have the steel... and have lifted the aluminum one on a 95... huge difference

the reason the hood falls so heavy is hte complete lack of hinde support, my M3's hood feels even heavier actually

NO BECAUSE IT IS STEEL versus the earlier aluminum ones.

I was actually joking about th hood remark, although they are heavy, they are not heavy enough to warrant different springs. However the 's' hood is heavier than a same model year 'l' hood because it has the ports on the underside of it to direct air through the intercoolers.

And yes, there's a huge difference in weight between the 95-96 and 97+ hoods. I remember going to look at Dre's car and it was like lifting a normal hood compared to Deb's 3" thick reinforced lead plate of a hood.

if it were actually lighter, and I don't mean by 10lbs then I would consider it if not for paint.

however I still think the 95-96 had some shock assists on the hood, I will try to find some pics.

anyway I have recently been considering getting my millenia repainted, SHUT UP AND READ ON BEFORE YOU MAKE SOME COMMENT.

I saw a bentley GT cruising down the road the other day, jet black, and it was beautiful, it was almost the same condition as mine, and considering it wasn't really waxed and being driven b a ghetto rat, imagine what I could do, not to mention how much thicker and durable it is. So yeah, I have gotton some qoute on it, I would want a 10 step, 2 coats of primer, 2 base coats, 4 coats of color and 2 clear coats, all hand wet sanded, basically the top of the top of the line showcar paint jobs. midnight black, ZERO flake, ZERO ghetto sparkle.

About 18k, not bad really, although alot compared to the 500 or so maaco will paint a car for

however I still think the 95-96 had some shock assists on the hood, I will try to find some pics.

BHR, I can save you the trouble. I have a 95 and 96. They both do not have "shock assists". They have free movement and are propped up with the metal rod.

10 coats of paint, for someone that knows so much about waxing you don't know much about paint. The more layers you put the thicker it is (common sense), the thicker it is, the bigger the stone chips. At 10 layers every little stone chip would knock a piece of paint off the size of a dime. If you're going to do this:

1 etching primer

1 building primer

1 sealer

1 base

1 colour

1 clear coat

Though the clear coat should be put on thick and then wet sanded to remove any imperfections and/or orange peel. This is show car paint, and even at that, it's going to chip fairly deep. For a daily driver the best is primer, and enamel. The chips are so small they're hardly noticable, and with proper car can still look damn good. Especially if the enamel is a quality paint that was polished properly. If you don't believe me, look at your millenia. '00 models weren't cleared (brilliant black at least wasn't), Mazda cost cutting measure.

And the hood, I would say it is at least 8lbs lighter, and no year milly had gas shocks to assist.