Intake Mod

mts

Originally posted by "Hondo"

removed the air box and filter next, then I had to build up the end of the airflow sensor (where the filter goes) - I used some 1/2 inch high density foam, cut into a strip. After putting that on, I slid the filter onto the sensor- good fit. Tightened down the hose clamp, and good to go.

I did have to make a metal "Z" bracket (just a strip cut from an old liscense plate) so that the entire assembly w/n sag or bounce.

Here are a couple of shots-

IPB Image

IPB Image

The only thing I'n not sure of is the one vacunm line that would normally connect to the top of the stock air box. I may drill a small hole in the bottom of the rear filter ring and connect it there. I believe it must work with the airflow sensor or computer-

I drilled a hole in the back of the filter housing and epoxied a vacumn coupling in- I figured since the line origionally was on the "clean" side of the air filter, I'd mount it there.

I did notice an improvement in acceleration as I got on the highway, along with a more "throaty" sound from the intake.

We have to find a solution to this incredibly restrictive airflow sensor- I think the engine will make considerably more power once we solve this problem.

Original post by "ShadowSE"

1) don't play with the cone on that VAF... they are sensitive and get thrown off easliy by being played with, dropped, etc...

2) make sure that your clamps are not too tight on the VAF with your filter... after a while, the pressure from the clamps mixed with heat from the engine bay, plus the plastic VAF shell tend to warp the VAF, meaninng that you get air leaks and your performance will suffer greatly...

3) if i might make a suggestion...

I would reattach the VAF to the top half of the intake box and leave the bottom half off (or cut it to where it only supports the top) and put your filter in that to reduce the amount of warm air that you are intaking and increase the amount of cold air... plus you don't have to worry about warping the VAF over time... look on the probe boards... i do not think that they have figured a really good way around that VAF yet.. its a tricky sensor... not like a MAF...

as far as mounting the sensors into a piece of polished alloy... i'd see about getting a plastic / rubberized intake pipe instead... metal just soaks up so much heat which reduces your HP anyway...

that is the primary reason i switched from a heat-soaking SRI (like what you are describing) to my comptech icebox with a high-flowing filter ( see: http://www.comptechusa.com/store/330130rsx.html for the Icebox)... and it is 100X better than that SRI that I had... I will never go back to anything like that!