Gps System

MazdaMomma

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone I know has bought a Hitachi with the biggest screen in its class. However it does have extras such as an input for a rear view camera. It attaches to the windscreen with a suction device.

The main thing to focus on is quality I think, some of the cheapest units may be questionable.

If you donot really need it, wait for some time, there will be a drop in the price.. The chipset is all the same, there are two map providers, should be very similar. doesnt matter which brand you buy, just look at the screen size and brightness.. Dont worry about little extra things..

My friend just got a Tom tom one and we did a test drive tonight. It has 3.5inch screen. I figure out that extras are shit. It should just have a large screen (you have to take your eyes off the road to see what is on that small screen), and voice commands. It is really hard to see and understand the map during driving esp. if you dont know where you are. It also zooms in when you have to make a turn. Even tough, not easy to grasp the map during driving. So i would buy the one with voice commands and maybe the largest screen (or smallest since i prolly wouldnt look at it) and cheapest.. Another thing is that you can snap it on the windshield, a lower position would be useless IMO, like stock ones..

good, cause it must be portable.

got a model number?

You should check out the Trimble brand. I dont know how well their car products are. But my pops has them in his tractors (alot of companies offer them as an option), they come with a 9-10" touchscreen it looks like. You initiate a turn and it kicks in (interfaces with the electronic steering) and finishes the 180 turn and aligns you perfectly into the next row. It keeps your rows perfectly straight through the fields. Their systems help make farmers good money by cramming as much into the field as possible. keep in mind there are no charted roads or intersections that it can use to cheat. The system has to find you wherever, i bet they can easily handle highway driving... just my 2 cents....

i did a quick search and it looks as if they have sysems for cars as well. i would check out their features and see if its sumn u like before i look at any other brand out there.

Kat Daddy would you provide me a link to the car products please? I cannot seem to find what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

I'v actually seen those systems on larger tractors, its suppose to be so that you do a perfect row at perfect dimensions of something.

my pops is a farmer, straighter rows allow u to cram more in the field with no excess space on the ends. Also alllows you to spray and cut weeds easier without running over the product you just planted...

i did a quick search and it looks as if they have sysems for cars as well. i would check out their features and see if its sumn u like before i look at any other brand out there.

Kat Daddy would you provide me a link to the car products please? I cannot seem to find what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

I saw a few components with a froogle search heres the home site try there. Once agian i cant vouch for their car products but their professional grade shit is pretty good, that may also add to $$$ They even have military use shit...

http://www.trimble.com/gpsbc_portable.shtml

http://www.trimble.com/gpsbc_invehicle.shtml

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I decided just to switch my cell phone service from Tmobile to Verizon. The maps on Verizon phones are updated every month, unlike dedicated GPS touchscreen systems.

If you really want a dedicated system, the 650 is nice, just keep in mind that map updates inside the first year of ownership are free, but after that it's 60-75$ per update, once a year is recommended. In my mind, paying my regular cell bill for free updates is a better option.

There are ways to get out of them, I just talked to Tmobile and told them my work location was moving to Carter Caves, and that my phone MUST get reception, lol. They said Cingular owns the towers down there, but i explained that at the elevation and location of my cabin did not allow for any signal. They said there are mulitple trouble tickets out for the area, but it's supposed to be resolved soon, but no ETA. I told them I want out if the situation doesn't improve by Sunday. I'm supposed to get a call Sunday for an update, I plan on being very upset. :)

Another reason I love where the meet was, i'll be able to port to Verizon.

• 2 months later...

Ended up going with the Garmin Nuvi 650 and the one just below it.

They both seem to be the easiest system to use and price wise not bad. About $450 +/-.

Haven't gotten lost with it yet. Only complaints are that it doesn't recognize that some streets are only 1 way (usually the opposite direction you need to go) and a couple of times it has recalculated the route in the middle of the route when you are going in the direction it pointed you in. Not sure if there was a signal interfering with it or not. It just said "recalculating" and displayed the new route. We just hit the stop trip and then re hit the home button.

It knows the difference between night and day and adjusts the display accordingly. So far, it has been pretty damn accurate.

I also like the 3-D display. Timing is accurate and it is portable.

Did notice that when we took the F150 to Pennsylvania, the damn thing vibrated off of the windshield... :lol: So, I stuck it in the cup holder on the floor and adjusted it so all I had to do is glance down.

Overall, I am pleased with its performance.

it doesn't recognize that some streets are only 1 way (usually the opposite direction you need to go)

Sue the bastards!

a couple of times it has recalculated the route in the middle of the route when you are going in the direction it pointed you in. Not sure if there was a signal interfering with it or not. It just said "recalculating" and displayed the new route. We just hit the stop trip and then re hit the home button.

Um i changed my mind honey lets take this route today :)