Thorough Carpet Cleaning

Troutman

From the tutorial:

"The other option in cleaning carpet and fabric is to use cleaning foam. These products are effective and will leave your carpet clean, but unfortunately are not quite as powerful as a good shampoo. Two positives is that they are easier to use and quicker. It is a simple process."

My question is: Meguiars make no such product, so what foam is recommended? It seems the only convenient way to truly clean the carpets and eliminate all odors. Any other discussion on this topic is welcomed.

I don't have a sunroof, but I did find a product today which will hopefully do the job. It's a foaming carpet cleaner, albeit Armor All brand.

I will post back with results when I have a chance to try it... though in honesty the worst problem seems to be that some areas of carpet are basically impossible to reach with the vacuum cleaner.

Hire a carpet cleaning machine for household use. I did it in my previous car after an overnight downpoor through the sunroof left open, not by me :mad:

Anyway I had to remove the entire interior to dry it up, and did said cleaning. It was like new. In the Xedos I did it without removing the interior, and it works fine too. You will reach all areas likely to be filthy. It soaks the carpet in water during the process, but it lets no water through because it has a plastic layer in the bottom. Just be careful around the throttle pedal and the areas under the front seats and it is no problem. Let the car dry out a couple of days without any other carpets in there and all traces of water is gone. Put a newspaper under your feet while driving if necessary. Of course, if you have fabric doormats like the stock ones you'll want to clean them too.

The point is; the cleaning fluid is not soapbased, and leaves no deposits for dirt and smell to build up in later like soap will do. It will not affect color either. Any cleaning foam I have tried is useless compared to this method.

Here you can borrow the machine for free once you buy the cleaning fluid. Usually shops selling paint have them. I guess you might have some in the house needing a treatment too... You'll be amazed how much dirt it digs up trust me.

I used a Rainbow machine, it is a vacuum cleaner with wet carpet cleaning feature. Filters the air through water, and is good for people with asthma. Same result as the pro machines. Correct fluid is of course crucial.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually I have taken a different approach to my carpet cleaning.

there is a hand vacuum that is sold in the pet market designed for "accidents" basically its a mini-home steam and shampoo cleaner. shampoos hot water, scrubs, then sucks up.

if it can clean up shit, it can clean a few specs of dust on my carpet. Make sure to let the carpets dry of course, you on't want mildrew or anything

• 1 month later...