Mazdaworld
  • Announcements

• Synesthesia

Online source for ALL Mazda OEM parts.

Original posted by "Anubis"   HAH! forget millenia. it has it for every mazda ever made. (well most )   here is the website:   http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...p;siteid=214264   enjoy guys.   *Administrative pin - Synesthesia
Sign in to follow this  
Troutman

Fading Black Plastic

This forum's and in particular BHR's advice has seen me come a long way in detailing, and there are now very few areas of the car that I cannot make sparkle. One such area is black plastic such as mud flaps. My beater is an '87 Corolla which has the entire bumpers in unpainted black plastic (which I noticed yesterday a new X5 does too...).

I am assuming a special product or technique is required for such areas which tend to go chalky; any recommendations would be appreciated.

Your highest probability for success would be to try one of these products. However, the first isn't plastic-specific, and the second isn't designed for exterior applications...

IPB Image

A premium complex blend of ingredients clean, shine and protect dashboards, trim, tires, door panels, moldings, and more without a greasy or plastic look. Special conditioners help prevent drying, fading, or cracking and offer UV protection to reduce damage caused by the sun. For best results, spread Gold Class™ Vinyl/Rubber Protectant evenly over the surface with a Meguiar’s Soft Foam Applicator Pad and remove any excess product with an Ultra Plush Super Terry.

OR

IPB Image

A specially engineered high concentration of ESPs blend with patented antiozonants to clean, condition, and protect all vinyl, rubber, and plastic surfaces in the car interior. The best all-in-one protectant on the market today, NXT Generation® Tech Protect delivers protection, durability and shine for car interiors. For best results apply with a High Tech Applicator Pad and remove any excess product with an Ultra Plush Super Terry or Supreme Shine® Microfiber.

I am going to try and track down this one...

IPB Image

Gold Class Trim Detailer

Product Details
Innovative technology pioneered by Meguiar’s to instantly restore colour and richness to faded and discolored trim and molding. Trims are protected so well that the “like new” appearance lasts for weeks, not days. Trim Detailer also helps remove unwanted contaminants and wax residue. Apply Trim Detailer with an Applicator Pad for best results.

NO, none of that tech nxt crap on plastic, its garbage, pure garbage.

trim detailer is not really for plastic, more for interior use and will not work will outside, I have not tried the vinyl rubber stuff from meguiers, but have heard good things.

Personally I use a 3 part system. First is of course to wash and clean the car and the area, then I take some mothers "back to black" solution, shake well, then using a slightly abrasive app pad (this is very important) put about a nickle size amount on , start with a single area and work your way out, and rub it in, I mean really like your trying to buff paint off or something, don't be afaird to use more then needed. The very first time you use it you will need about 2-3 apps to bring the black back. Once done give it about 5 minutes, then finally do a single gentle sweep across with a towel, but only once, to remove excess.

I swear by this stuff for detailing the black plastic under the hood... and I am always getting comments for the under the hood cleanliness and shine...

IPB Image The spray bottle, I spray it on allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes then wipe down.

NO, fuck kmart.

mts, is that tire shine you use, or an actual plastic cleaner?

The problem with an underhood area and many black plastic polish is it leaves a mild residue, which then traps dirt half as fast.

That is why you wipe it down after.... and yes there may be some build up after time, but that is why it gets cleaned under the hood on a regular basis.

The first time I did it I used steel wool and some "gunk" engine cleaner, sprayed into a cup and scrubbed hard, afterwards simple orange cleaner wipes work well.

The first time is always the worst

QUOTE(The Only MTS @ Sep 13 2007, 09:12 AM) [snapback]181169[/snapback]
I like the results...

[attachmentid=787]

WOW. How does it work on the outside black plastic? Around the windows in particular.

Excellent. Well Autobarn didn't have the Back to Black so I bought the Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer. I will keep all updated when I get around to it...

its hard to spot on the shelfs most of hte time, but you must find some.

the meguiers trim detailer is ok, but I've never been impressed with it, especially for deeper cleaning jobs

Cheers for the offer MC, though my normal policy is to finish off what I've got (and this might last me a while) before getting a replacement. I'll let you know if/when that day comes if I still can't find it...