New Zune

Jdubs99

Disappointed in Microsoft. You have a product that is superior to the iPod in every way, yet you let the Ipod own you in advertising. I just don't get it. Grassroots market ownership is one thing, but turning a blind eye is another. The new Zune beats the iPod classic and nano in all ways, but Zune has NO ADVERTISING. Such a waste in such an investment in a huge market.

Disappointed in Microsoft. You have a product that is superior to the iPod in every way, yet you let the Ipod own you in advertising. I just don't get it. Grassroots market ownership is one thing, but turning a blind eye is another. The new Zune beats the iPod classic and nano in all ways, but Zune has NO ADVERTISING. Such a waste in such an investment in a huge market.

Explain why it is better than the iPod or Nano. I am curious as I almost got the Zune, but ended up with the iPod Shuffle. Didn't know a thing about the Zune and neither did the salesman.

New Zunes have wireless song transfer from other Zunes AND computer now. The larger Zune is now smaller overall, still the same 3.5" screen, and 80 gigs to match the iPod classic. The Zune also has no restrictive media constraints, unlike the iPod/iTunes. I can buy music from my gray market Uzbekisan music site, and not have to worry about DRM.

It sounds good, but there are 2 reasons I wouldn't invest.

One, the ease with which all these features can be integrated into a cellular phone these days renders the stand-alone devices all but obsolete upon conception.

Two, anything with a hard drive on board will be extremely fragile if dropped (which will not take long) and have poorer battery life. Flash is the only suitable memory for a portable device.

On the contrary, phone integration is a bad idea. Cell phones are a necessary form of communication (especially in emergencies), and the extra features built in tend to kill the batteries 4 times faster than cell phone functions. When batteries advance to the point of being able to support a multifunction device, and the individual components themselves are as good as those built into the next generation PDA, them i might agree.

I can't wait for the day, but at the same time, isn't being plugged in all the time a bad thing?

Looks like all zunes recieved an update today, including 1st generation. Installing my updates now.

My zune just got done updating. Flash to an old Zune device was a complete change. The updates even unlocked wireless transfers from networks to older zunes. Device graphics are completely changed. Zune software was completely changed. Screen orientation of battery and wireless signal strength completely changed. All in all, very impressed.

• 2 weeks later...