Trials And Tribulations Of A Dirty Miata

Jetaway

This past Friday I finally broke down and removed the ugly seat covers that the previous owners had disgraced the Miata with. I had peeked under them before, but being OCD like when I get into such a project, I didn't want to start anything that I couldn't properly address so I just let the seats hide until now.

Ah, the horror that lay beneath once the covers were finally removed! I don't think the previous owners did anything that resembled caring for the leather. Being horsey, I already had leather cleaner around. I'm always trying different products to find the one I like the best. This time it was Leather CPR, a one step cleaner/conditioner that I found to work fairly well on my horse gear. One step products get the job done for quick cleans, but to do a proper job a separate two step cleaner/conditioner process should be used every now and then. I used to use the classic Lexol products, but I don't really care for them as I have found others that work better.

First I took a slightly damp terry cloth rag (terry cloth is by far the best to use on leather... those "application sponges" are just crap) and wiped down the seats just to get the excess crud off. Using warm water helps loosen the dirt better. Then it was just a matter of meticulously getting into every nook and cranny with the Leather CPR to get all of the nastiness out. A couple of hours later yielded seats in much better condition, though I am anxious to do a 2 step process on it as the leather is still thirsty.

I am still on the look out for other products and will, of course, test more in the future. An excellent 2 step product that I may go back to for this project is the Stubben cleaner and conditoner. Alas, the last time I checked my tack store was out.... I may just have to order some more.

***NOTE: ALWAYS make sure that whatever product you decide to use on your leather is Ph balanced! Also, beware of getting too much conditioner on the stitching as this will eventually cause it to rot.

In cases of moldy leather, a diluted white vinegar solution is effective in killing off the mold spores. However, you must be certain to follow up immediately with the proper cleaner/conditioner.

• 2 months later...
:hmm: I'm impressed with your leather detailing knowledge. it ahs been probably years since I have mentioned ph balanced formula's (as found in meguiers) the stiching issue is oddly highly dependent on the actual car and when ti was produced, cars from the late 90's seem to no longer have this problem

• 1 year later...