Components In '99 S?

mackin

I am looking to upgrade my speakers in my 1999 Millenia S. I have the Bose system and according to crutchfield my car has 4 inch speakers in the front doors.

Has anyone here been able to put in some bigger component speakers without too much custom work? I am also wondering if the stock speakers are Coaxials or Components.

Thanks in advance. :D

crutchfield....waste....

in a 99S if you have bose you have the following

2 - 5.25 door speakers

2 - 6x9 rear speakers

1 - 1.25 or 1.5" tweeter (center dash)

along with various preamps and amps etc.

wow i didn't realize crutchfield was so crappy. it would have been nice to order crappy 4 inch speakers lol.

So for my front stage, should I just buy 5.25 inch components and just use one tweeter? how would this work?

thanks.

crutchfield....waste....

in a 99S if you have bose you have the following

2 - 5.25 door speakers

2 - 6x9 rear speakers

1 - 1.25 or 1.5" tweeter (center dash)

along with various preamps and amps etc.

wow i didn't realize crutchfield was so crappy. it would have been nice to order crappy 4 inch speakers lol.

So for my front stage, should I just buy 5.25 inch components and just use one tweeter? how would this work?

thanks.

I also just saw this post in the Bose FAQ thread.

'95-'96: Bose head unit (watts?) w/o CD player, changer option in trunk. Rear speakers are 6x9" and front speakers are component with ~1" tweeter near the side mirror and either 5.25" or 6.5" mid-range in the front lower door panel.

'97-'00: Bose head unit (watts?) w/CD player in dash, (changer option in trunk?) Rear speakers are 6x9" (same speakers as '95-'96?) and front speakers are tweeter in dash (size?) and either 4" or 4.5" in the front lower door panel (AFAIK not the same door speakers as '95-'96).

Are you sure the 1999 has 5.25?

100% sure, I have a 2000 with alpine 5.25 speakers, a 4" speaker will just fall through the hole, you simply don't put the grill on them. It really does look like it would be a 4" speaker, but the reality is that most aftermarket speakers are measured by grill cover size, not cone. 5.25 is a direct drop in, you'll have to drill new holes though since the factory has 3 in a star patten and aftermarket uses 4

I drilled out areas for 1" tweeters on that black trim piece where the side mirrors come in

100% sure, I have a 2000 with alpine 5.25 speakers, a 4" speaker will just fall through the hole, you simply don't put the grill on them. It really does look like it would be a 4" speaker, but the reality is that most aftermarket speakers are measured by grill cover size, not cone. 5.25 is a direct drop in, you'll have to drill new holes though since the factory has 3 in a star patten and aftermarket uses 4

I drilled out areas for 1" tweeters on that black trim piece where the side mirrors come in

ok cool thanks alot. sorry for questioning you lol. I just saw the other post and figured i'd make certain.

Never attempted it, it MIGHT be possible, but frankly the black triangle trim piece is much easier to work with and gives better sound quality. the highs should always play on a soundstage level with your ears. You can even use the screw for one of hte mirrors to mount the tweeter.

is there a way to mount the tweeters without having to drill into the triangle? i'm not sure my dad is too keen on doing things that cant be returned to stock.

can always be returned to stock...might cost you 40-50 bucks for new trim pieces.

You would have enough room in the door as far as the grill is concerned...retarded 6x9 grill opening for 5.25 speakers, but you'll have to see how much room you need with the tweeters.

good point. any idea of a place that has OEM parts like the trim piece? just so i can show my dad that it can be returned on the cheap.

Thanks for all of your help.

not returned, you just walk into mazda and say you need a replacement, I had a different design with my speaker grills original, paid something like 38 dollars each for brand new factory replacements. I bet you could get those trim pieces off of a parts car for 5-10 bucks each, they just pop on and off, nothing special

not returned, you just walk into mazda and say you need a replacement, I had a different design with my speaker grills original, paid something like 38 dollars each for brand new factory replacements. I bet you could get those trim pieces off of a parts car for 5-10 bucks each, they just pop on and off, nothing special

ok man sounds good. thanks for all of your help.

Now i just need to make sure my parents are OK with me spending so much money lol.

(i'm 17 with a job and somehow my parents still get to dictate how i spend my money, sweet...)

if you paid for the car then you can do whatever you want. you earn the money.

well... it was my dad's car back in the day and then my sisters for a while and now mine. so i guess i didn't pay for the car. but i pay for all of my other stuff.

plus, i'm the one that told him to buy it lol. he owes me. we could have ended up with a camry :weirdo:

A camry.....a camry....unacceptable.

It can be returned to stock at any time, but some tweeters in a standard tweeter location won't exactly stand out either.

lol i hear you on the camry thing. and by stand out, you mean they wont sound as good as they should correct?

visually they won't.

Besides whats the big deal, its your car now, your more or less the 2rd owner, do what you want.

word. i'm sure i'll be able to to get everything. if not, i'll just steal the speakers out of my dads car and install them myself lol.

I cannot wait to see the new paint... :shifty: It was sad to look at a damaged Milly.... I have a Mazda 6 waiting at the airport and one of those ODD Mitsubishi Endeavours while here in Quebec

119k is exactly the time to be getting them.

well... ... i guess my only other excuse is that i will have to pay for part of my college in the near future lol.

I cannot wait to see the new paint... :shifty: It was sad to look at a damaged Milly.... I have a Mazda 6 waiting at the airport and one of those ODD Mitsubishi Endeavours while here in Quebec

:hijack: