Things That Make You Go Hmmmm

mts

I'm Bruce Allen. This is CKNW and this is your "Reality Check".If I didn't know any better it would seem there's been a lot of immigrant bashing going on in the past few months.A month ago, the Sikh community was all up in arms over Passport Canada, refusing to issue passports to three Sikh kids because they were wearing religious headgear for the photos. The children were wearing those handkerchiefs which are knotted at the top of the head to keep their hair intact.That incident came on the heels of an immigration plan that was in the works, to have Sikhs with the surname Singh or Khan to change those names, so as to avoid administrative mistakes. Too many Singhs, too many Khans - that was the problem.And now we've got a controversy over the fact that Elections Canada has said that it's all right to have Burqa-covered Muslim women vote in elections when it's very clear that voters have to be able to be identified when going to the polls.All of these issues join the list that contains the turban-wearing Mounties problem and the one where the motorcycle rider was angry that he had to wear the helmet - as it was impossible to get it on over his turban.This is all very simple. We have laws in this country. They are spelled out and they're easy to get a hold of. If you're immigrating to this country and you don't like the rules that are in place, then you have the right to choose not to live here. But if you choose to come to a place like Canada, then shut up and fit in. We are a democracy, but it seems, more and more, that we are being pilloried by special interest groups that just want to make special rules for themselves. This is easy to solve: these are the rules, there is the door. If you don't like the rules, hit it. We don't need you here. You have another place to go: it's called home. See ya.I'm Bruce Allen and this is the Giant CKNW Newstalk 980.

This is all very simple. We have laws in this country. They are spelled out and they're easy to get a hold of. If you're immigrating to this country and you don't like the rules that are in place, then you have the right to choose not to live here. But if you choose to come to a place like Canada, then shut up and fit in.

thats kind of stupid to fine them if they don't vote

On the other hand, if you don't vote you should be caned for speaking your opinion, there was some study that said almost 70% of the people who are against bush didn't even vote at all (for the record, about 28% of those people were not of age to vote at the time of every election)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So much easier with an autocratic society. You get conquered, if they are nice enough to let you live, you have to adjust. In the case of Muslims, the Koran provided that "people of the book" should be allowed to keep their religions provided they pay a tax. This was true for monotheiest at least. Might be a good lesson to take, even to the point of using the elasticity of our constitution if need be.

In my opinion, the variable of the seperation of church and state has caused a religious/cultural flux in the past 300 or so years. We have progressed from a society that crushed those different than us in regard to culture and religion, to one that accepts the culture and beliefs of others. In the past this was represented by political power legitimized by religion. Now we have religion legitimizing(sp) political power. Look at how McCain and Obama are courting the fundamentalist currently.

I've been critical of Henry Ford's "americanizing" ritual he used with immigrants in the past. I'm beginning to think I was wrong.

Diversity is a good thing, up to a certain point. There has to be a division or rallying point somewhere (nationalism), otherwise it's the tower of babel all over again.

This effect on other social strata such as nation economies and law is a seperate issue that would take multiple pages for me to comment on.

Anyway, i actually agree with BHR and MTS on this topic. If you decide to become a citizen of a nation, you must be prepared to forego certain "god-given" liberties in exchange for security. It's one of the basic principles of philosophy and why governments exist in the first place.