Knocking Sound...again.

cuto

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

Just got back from Mazda: bad news!

Car has no codes...except for that O2 sensor the LED gave me. As for this code they say the sensor fails at idle but works ok under acceleration.

As for the noise: They say with absolute certainty that its a rod or piston connecting pin. Asked them why would the noise be there sometimes and sometimes not. Also why doesnt the noise Increase under load.

Answer: we had an MX3 with that same noise....it was the pin. Engine WILL die.

My mechanic says otherwise...he tells me the car stutters like theres a misfire, so coil it is. He also says that the knock is not like any piston or rod knock he ever heard.

Im waiting for the coils. If its the engine...BHR will be getting the dashboard i guess...coz its scrapyard.

Im in a bad mood.

What is the actual code??

I dont think it is that deep. The noise definitely comes from the surface as far as I can hear. And you can hear it in the exhaust right, like a misfire?

You can also try posting on .org . I think there are more mechanically experienced ears there.

If its the engine...BHR will be getting the dashboard i guess...coz its scrapyard.

Im in a bad mood.

Cheer up! I've not read this entire whored out thread, but I'm with Saint on this one. Are you sure they actually changed the hydraulic tensioner, and not just the tensioner pulley? If a misfire is present, it should cause a code.

As for engine damage causing a knock, as in conrod issue;

1. Did your engine ever suffer from oil starvation?

2. Did your engine ever suffer from overheating and/or very low coolant level?

3. Did you severely neglect oil change intervals?

4. Did you on a daily basis thrash your car, even with a cold engine?

If your answer to those questions is no I have no further questions. These are tough engines. Supercharger failure- possibly. Engine internal damage- I bet you 100 euros it isn't IF your answer to the questions above is no.

And just for the record- worst case scenario; I don't think your car is a partout object sir. I'll buy her.

If its the engine...BHR will be getting the dashboard i guess...coz its scrapyard.

Im in a bad mood.

Cheer up! I've not read this entire whored out thread, but I'm with Saint on this one. Are you sure they actually changed the hydraulic tensioner, and not just the tensioner pulley? If a misfire is present, it should cause a code.

As for engine damage causing a knock, as in conrod issue;

1. Did your engine ever suffer from oil starvation?

2. Did your engine ever suffer from overheating and/or very low coolant level?

3. Did you severely neglect oil change intervals?

4. Did you on a daily basis thrash your car, even with a cold engine?

If your answer to those questions is no I have no further questions. These are tough engines. Supercharger failure- possibly. Engine internal damage- I bet you 100 euros it isn't IF your answer to the questions above is no.

And just for the record- worst case scenario; I don't think your car is a partout object sir. I'll buy her.

Hi X-man !

They changed everything timing belt realated: i saw the old parts...spark plugs and so on.

1. 2. 3. 4.

Not in my hands...i even changed oil last time (1.000 Kms ago) with Fully synthetic 50.000 Kms oil. Mazda says " See??? New oil... better oil (5w30 just like before)= engine flush = uncovered the knock".

First seller didnt have the coils. Still selling them but no coils available from Hitachi.

Yesterday bought from another seller on ebay. 6 new coils.

As for the car...the knock is always there. Car idles like a tractor...stutters a lot. It really feels like it is working on 5 cylinders.

As for the car...if it's the engine i won't bother getting a used one (saw one in UK and posted here at the forum a year ago..but i cant find another trusted used KJ). Currently i am now in search mode for a new car, just in case.

Cash for clunkers it's a pitty... but if the worse thing happens you will be the 1st to know.

P.S. In one and a half year i changed oil 3 times ( 26.000 Kms) but it ran . Always checking levels.

Did they (Mazda) perform an engine flush or do they claim new oil equals flush?

They claim that the last oil change, with a real better synthetic oil with better additives and solvents and yadda yadda, performed an engine cleaning, thus uncovering the knock...or worsening it.

The engine must have been run on really bad oil previously for that to happen. I doubt it. Who'd put really bad oil in that engine?

I'm not a fan of engine flushes though, for that very reason.

And just for the record, a knock isn't uncovered by better oil. If it happened, it was caused by gunk clogging an oil passage, most likely to one conrod bearing. Thus you may say that they ruined your engine with their choice of oil. You may need a lawyer ;)

I still doubt it though, for the sake of my 100 euros :whistling:

Hope this is the problem:

What the hell is coil pack ground plate? When you screw them in they are grounded to the engine block.

Actually there are 3 solenoids by the firewall at the back. IIRC the plate that holds them is also the ground for them and if you do not attach it to the block it doesnt run properly. I heard it caused problems before and there is no way one can guess if he doesnt have previous experience. Check that if it is securely connected to the block. If you have a multimeter you can also check if there is electrical connection from that plate to engine block.

Oh well: coils are on the way, shipped from USA on the 15 only (coz of blizzards), tracking number says it left USA already

Detailed Results:

Bullet International Dispatch, February 19, 2010, 7:20 am, FOREIGN CENTERJERSEY CITY NJ 099

Bullet Arrival

Bullet Acceptance, February 16, 2010, 10:31 am, CAMDEN WYOMING, DE 19934

Bullet Electronic Shipping Info Received, February 15, 2010

Car is just the same, i keep driving it: if its a rod I want it to die on my hands. In a week or so i'll have good or bad news.

BTW: if its not the coils i'll be selling 6 used ones and 6 NEW ones!

:>

I want her to live......or the new coils :)

I saw a milly with 300k+ miles. It didnt pass CA emissions and the guy sold it for very cheap. I was looking to buy. Although it is 2.5L it is still milly and could survive 300k miles!

So cuto you should find the small problem and get going..

THE END OF THIS STORY:

I hate MAZDA.....

...Dealerships!!!!!!!!!

THE CAR IS RUNNING LIKE NEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Sorry bout the caps guys!!!! It was a coil (or 2). Got the coils 2 days ago. Just got back from the mechanic that changed all the stuff before (timing belt, sparks). It took him 2,5 hours to change all 6 coils (fast learner!!!!!). The car is NOT missing a beat!!!!! No more noises ...no more hesitations. SHE runs like NEW.

OMFG im THAT happy i could fuc** that tailpipe!

Fuel consumption reached 16 L/100 in city...After i picked the car up the trip computer says, 9.1 L/100! I gave the engine a real kick coz an ML 320CDI was flashing me uphill...Know what? Kicked the Xedos pedal to the metal and...bye bye Merc! i took the foot off the pedal as soon as the tach read 235 km/h... GUYSSSSS!

THE XEDOS IS ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Thank you all!

BTW: ill be testing all my old coils and will post how many were dead.

Happy smileeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

P.P.S.: tomorrow ill be paying a visit to that Mazda dealership and im gonna rub that bad conrod in their faces!!!!