S Transmission

Okay - someone please tell me - does the S transmission have an additional filter beyond the screen that you can access when you pull off the pan?????????

I'm coming up to the point where I need a tranny fluid change and the guy I take it to is insisting that there is a cylindrical oil-filter looking filter in the tranny that also needs to be replaced, and saying that a power flush is okay ay 145k miles as long as i'm not having problems now and the fluid isnt burnt. I have a feeling if I followed his advice my tranny would fall out 5 miles down the road. I have no problems now with shifting other than the classic hard 1-2 shift, maybe the tinnnnnnniest bit of hesitation to let go of gears and shift up when it's cold which I allow for since its kind of old, but nothing concerning.

I'm like WTF i would KNOW if the thing had a filter; the workshop manual mentions NOTHING. whos smoking crack here? me, who is obsessed with the car or the mechanic

Is it the L that has a filter??????

You darn trible poster!!

i dont think there is any surprise filter that we dont know. Steve just dismantle the whole S tranny and he didnt mention. There are photos in .org if you wanna look.

Why flush??? Just change the fluid with dexron6 and you are good to go. Do it yourself. At least you can pump it out from the filler tube.

Nope there is no other filter in the transmission, and either way the filter thats on there is a screen filter and can be rinsed well and reused with no problem. Change to Dex VI BTW. Dont do a flush, I work in a transmission shop and we DONT do flushes. Do a drain and fill prefereably about 4 of them to change most of the fluid out.

Thank you. I KNEW I was right on this issue but the mechanic was insisting; and sadly this is the same person who I had planned to have the SC TB and WP change.

I opened the plug in the bottom and drained it at the same time i changed my oil and fuel filter today. I still got sprayed in the face with a bit of petrol even after relieving the pressure in the line. I took out the back seat because it was easier than being curled up like a pretzel in the trunk, and I had already taken them out to do the 1995 rear deck restore. Eh well, at leas it saves me $140 he wanted to do the SUPERMEGA OMG I KNOW HWAT IM DOING FLUSH. Keep in mind i never wanted to do the flush; i would never do that on a car with more than 50k.

I just got Dex 3, i got cheap stuff because im going to drive around for a week and let it circulate and then do another drain.