2010 JD power quality list

Cyberdyne

article

The 2010 JD Power Initial Quality Study (IQS) results are in, and the news isn’t great for Toyota. The IQS is based on responses from more than 82,000 purchasers and lessees of new 2010 model-year vehicles surveyed after 90 days of ownership in the United States.

Each owner/lessee takes a 228-question survey that has been designed to provide manufacturers in identifying problems and improving customer satisfaction.

It seems that customers aren’t entirely happy with their Toyotas, with the manufacturer dropping a mammoth 15 spots in the rankings from sixth to 21st, with an average of 117 problems per 100 vehicles surveyed.

The industry average for 2010 was 109 problems per vehicle, with just 10 manufacturers bettering the average.

The top performer was Porsche, with 83 problems per 100 cars, with Mercedes-Benz ranking in third position with 87.

Toyota’s luxury brand Lexus, which for years dominated the top of the JD Power results table and has built its reputation on quality, had to settle for a still impressive fourth.

Ford moved into the top five for the first time since the inception of the study 24 years ago. Other luxury brands such as BMW and Audi didn’t fare quite so well, with 113 and 111 problems per 100 cars respectively.

The bottom-trawlers included some big names. Land Rover was the worst performer, with a wow-worthy 170 problems per 100 vehicles.

Volkswagen’s apparent reliability concerns were also reflected, with the German maker scoring 135.

Mitsubishi (146), Mini (133), and Jaguar (130) also scored poorly. Land Rover is again at the bottom of the list, with 170 problems per vehicle.

The rankings are as follows:

Porsche - 83

Acura - 86

Mercedes-Benz - 87

Lexus - 88

Ford - 93

Honda - 95

Hyundai - 102

Lincoln - 106

Infiniti - 107

Volvo - 109

Industry Average - 109

Ram - 110

Audi - 111

Cadillac - 111

Chevrolet - 111

Nissan - 111

BMW - 113

Mercury - 113

Buick - 114

Mazda - 114

Scion - 114

Toyota - 117

Subaru - 121

Chrysler - 122

Suzuki - 122

GMC - 126

Kia - 126

Jeep - 129

Dodge - 130

Jaguar - 130

Mini - 133

Volkswagen - 135

Mitsubishi - 146

Land Rover - 170

It should be noted that audi is rated above both Jeep and mazda, both of which I'v never had problems with.

These surveys are usually garage and aimmed more at jackasses who take the car in for anything to check it out, or first gen cars, instead of real problems like you know, the accelerator getting stuck

Well for example, why would ACURA be above HONDA when Acura is just a more techno-laden version of the same thing. Ditto for Audi/Vastevagen.

As for the iPhone, Steve Jobs is a master of marketing. I think its biggest advantage is a brand name, aesthetic styling and mass public awareness.

“Only constant repetition will finally succeed in imprinting an idea on the memory of the crowd” – Adolf Hitler

I agree such serveys may prove coincidental, but I always check the position of Vastewagen, Jeep and Land Rover. As long as two of them is amongst the three worst, I find it reasonably trustworthy.

Mazda and Toyota builds crap compared to 10 years ago, and are found in the region of average. Makes sense to me. In fact Honda is the stayer of the japanese manufacturers.

I liked the 6, but didn't need that at that time. My biggest problem with i is when it came out in 04 a fully loaded V6 went for 17k, prices starting at 13. In 2009 or 10 whatever the last last gen year was prices started at 18 and went to 31, for NOTHING MORE. Onl 9.4x inflation

I'm mixed on the newest one, It seems like a good car, but the front is a bit weird

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I rented a hyundai elantra and it was surprisingly good. I couldnt find anything to complain, given the segment of course. I ride quality is very good yet handling/brakes were not compromised. Audio is far better than an average japanese sedan. Everything was firm no panel squeaks, unlike mazda3, 6.

Should try sonata.

• 2 weeks later...