Found Articles

mts

Mazda's cheery little Miata still garners miles of smiles;

Miata's philosophy is "Jinba Ittai" or "rider and horse as one" 2007 Mazda Miata

The Mississauga News May 17, 2006

KONE, Hawaii: There's more Zoom,Zoom,Zoom than ever with the 2006 Mazda Miata. From its introduction 15 years ago, the Miata has Zoom Zoomed to the largest volume selling sportscar in history, which proves the point that a car that's fun to drive doesn't have to cost half the price of your mortgage.

My first experience with the Miata goes back all those 15 years when my wife and I (before kids) took a French Mariner Blue Miata out to visit my oldest friend and his wife. In the evening, my friend and I went out into the July night with the top down, a canopy of stars above and the heater on just enough to make things toasty under the cowl. It was a wonderful drive. After years of smog-emasculated t-bar roofed cars with cheap vinyl interiors, here was a proper roadster with crackerjack handling, pert looks, and a near magical gearbox that was more like a toggle switch. That drive did it for me, and obviously for a lot more drivers, as the sales numbers reflect.

Now in its third generation, the Miata shows no lessening in popularity, but there is competition on the horizon with the Pontiac Solstice that is supposed to bow in the fall. A Mazda official once told me the Miata would probably never be under threat because the cost of development of a entry-level sportster would be prohibitive to duke it out in the same price range.

But Solstice has changed that and Mazda knows this Miata has to be more than just competitive.

The concept and execution of the Miata was, and is, simple. Using a central spine/chassis, place the engine in front, the drive in the rear and two seats in between and keep the whole package as light as possible for sharp handling. The shape of the Miata has not been trifled with in the third generation, but there are some changes. The biggest is the size of the wheels up from 14-inches on the base car in 1989 to 16-inch and optional 17-inch for 2005. This follows an internal Mazda directive that says that whatever the car is designed with, go up an inch. There is also a pronounced arch over the front and rear wheel wells, but after that, it's pretty well the same down to the little power bulge on the hood. The manual top, never a big hassle to put up, now has a Z-shaped frame that means one doesn't have to grunt and heave it up and over your head as before.

Central to the Miata philosophy is a concept called "Jinba Ittai" or "Rider and Horse as One". It comes from the Japanese where an archer going into battle on his horse required both to function as one with the archer controlling his steed so the arrow would hit the target on the move. That was the concept used in the original design and it has not been changed even though there is not one part carried over from the 2005 model. At the same time, Mazda engineers used a "gram strategy" to keep the Miata as light as possible. An example is the rearview mirror that was reduced in weight by 84 grams. This gram strategy was applied to every part in the car.

On the roads on the "Big Island" of Hawaii, the Miata is still a joy to drive and as pointable as ever. The front and rear tracks are wider and that translates into increased stability. The body stiffness is improved by 47 per cent and that means the suspension has to do the work, which you want in a roadster.

Motive power is a 2.3-litre DOHC inline four-cylinder putting out 170 hp and 140 lb/ft of torque on premium gasoline. There is a five-speed manual transmission on the base GX model priced at $27,995. The $30,995 GS is the more sporting version while the $33,995 GT is more luxury equipped. Both the GS and GT come with a six-speed manual or optional 6-speed automatic with sequential mode. If you opt for the autobox in the GT it comes with paddles for the up/down shifts. Both have 17-inch wheels.

Where they differ is the GS has anti-lock brakes, a rear limited slip differential and stability control performance Bilstein shocks with shock tower stress bar. Air conditioning and a detachable hardtop are options. The GT has air and ABS but no stability control. The GT seats are heated leather and a premium Bose sound system is acoustically mapped to the interior.

Lastly is the Limited at $34,495 that will be like the name implies, limited, with only 150 coming into Canada this year. It has everything the others offer, plus special touches like a red leather interior, a special iridescent red paint and chrome windshield surround.

Mazda picked Hawaii to show off the new Miata because this was where the car was unveiled to the world back in 1990. It seems like a long, long way to go to test a car, but it proved rewarding. The roads seem to be all new with rich, grippy asphalt and they can rise from sea level to over 2,000 ft in a matter of minutes behind the wheel.

There are always clouds scudding across the sky, most laden with rain. You can be in brilliant sunshine while being dumped on the same time. While the single-latch top goes up in one motion, you can ignore it and keep going with the aerodynamics of the body wafting the water up and over your head while you stay dry in the cockpit - very exhilarating.

Unchanged, and in fact improved, is the way the Miata romps along almost as if it wants to be part of the fun. It can change direction at a whim, but is not darty thanks to the 52/48 front/rear weight distribution.

Meanwhile the cockpit area is larger then ever with more than enough seat travel for taller folk. The one thing I didn't like was the door-panel mounted big gulp size drink holder that constantly chaffed against my left knee. Others journalists told my afterwards they didn't notice it. Am I being too picky?

The paddle shift GT I drove in the afternoon was a surprise. I don't like these things because I would rather concentrate on the road than trying to remember what sequential gear I'm in. If you paid extra for an automatic, why would you want to shift it manually?

With the GT and its 170 horses to work with, you learn over time how to extract all the car has to give and you really do work as one with it in the Jinba Ittai concept. With the paddles, you take it up to the redline and then blip up and the change in cogs is instantaneous.

Given my druthers, I would go for the GS probably without the optional air, because after all, it is a convertible.

And when it's all said and done, I don't know of a car that gives this much entertainment so honestly.

Miles of smiles is what the Miata was created to give and it still brings smiles to the faces of those who drive it today.

IPB ImageIPB Image

2007 Miata's interior remains cozy yet comfortable with plenty of seat travel. Shown here is the red leather interior specific to the Limited model.

IPB ImageOne of the delights of the 2006 MX-5 Miata is the six-speed manual gearbox that's feather light to operate with very short throws.

• 1 year later...