Well Gee, Thats A Serious Problem

*Already posted on Jeepforum, just thought id cover my bases*

Ok, I'm going to give all the details and relevent background.

Drove 10 miles this morning, everything fine, drove 4 miles this afternoon at highway speed, all is fine. Suddenly I hear a beep, the "check guages" light is on, and my temp is pinned to the red. I instantly pulled over, shut off the engine and popped the hood. Now, there was a slight bubbling sound, or maybe like a grinding sound, hard to tell with the traffic, there was tons of coolant draining underneath the car. Now I'm almost 100% sure that all of this coolant came from the overflow as the coolant tank was filled to the max.

Now, I think its the waterpump, but possibly more.

After letting it cool 40 mins I limped it off the highway into a parking lot and had to towed. But, when starting the engine, the fan does not turn, and the pulley which connects into the fan (I assume the waterpump) does not turn at all, infact it was starting to shave off parts of the timing belt (which now is thin and cracked)

Now the weird thing is, there is no coolant or anything around that seal, and when the engine is off, I can move the fan with my hand, there is a slight resistance, but can still turn, the pulley does NOT turn when I do this.

Radiator remained full at all times.

When limping it off the highway I turned the heater on MAX, when I did this, I heard it engage, but NOTHING at all blew through the vents, yet last night I know it worked perfectly fine.

Now the coolant tank fills to max and overflows when driving it, even if it doesn't hit red line (like say driving up my driveway to the garage), BUT when you turn the engine off as it cools it all drains back down, as in to totally empty.

Oil looks good, no coolant seems to be in it, not foamy or anything.

Coolant color and density looks good, no oil or anything.

When moving it up my driveway to the house, and letting it idle to observe, engine sounded like it was running smooth and strong, just not cooling itself

I'm worried this is massive compound problem with the waterpump, thermostat, and freezeplug.

Opinions and where to get the best prices on parts, or any advice on repair is greatly appreciated. I do plan on doing the repais myself as its a holiday weekend and I have plenty of time.

Freezeplug would have popped out the block and you would lose all coolant. Thermostat is what I am thinking, Because it seems the pump is running fine, but had nowhere to go, therefore was maybe over heating the pump and seizing... I would start with the thermostat, and maybe the pump while you are changing the belt that has been chewed...

Got a few replies back from jeepforum, it seems because the pump is seized up enough to start shaving the belt that its totally gone, over the past week I had noticed some sqeakying and start up, I figured it was just the tensioner going bad whioch I was going ot replace this weekend, turns out it might have been the pump going bad

Just noticed this thread, and something doesn't add up:

1) If the pump is completely seized then there would be absolutely no movement of coolant, let alone a surge from the reservoir.

2) This would not cause it to pour out of the reservoir either. Neither would a failed thermostat, in either position.

3) Why the thermostat housing?

ren, no idea, but coolant wasn't going anywhere, it seemed like it was boiling out of the radiator, going through the overflow and once it filled that up it came out the vent overflow or whatever.

I have no idea how to tell if the thermostat actually went bad, but I'v heard its a good idea to replace it anyway when this happens, and for 7 dollars why not.

as for the thermostat housing, that was my fault, I tightened it down 1 bolt at a time to something like 80lbs, when infact because of what there made of you need to tighten them down evenly, and to something like 16lbs, so I broke it, lucky for me it only cost 15 dollars

On a side note, I could not get the pump to turn even with it in a vice and me hanging off the wrench like an angry monkey. It appears that parts of the shaft, or bearings or something are jammed in the front pulley area. When I get my phone figured out I will take some pictures.

Now as for today, even in 98 degree weather it ran strong cooling wise, I'm still not sure if the belt is 2 tight or 2 lose (sent you a pm) but other then that, I'm back to dealing with this weird brake issue

• 1 year later...