The History Of The Mx-3

mohamedeladawy@hotmail.com

The Mazda MX-3 was a four-seat hatchback produced from September 1991 to 1998. The MX-3 was based on the EC platform.

The MX-3 came with two engine options — a 1.6 L I4 and 1.8 L V6. The straight-4 was available in two versions, 88 hp (66 kW) SOHC or 106 hp (79 kW) DOHC/16-valve. The more-powerful DOHC 24-valve V6 produced 130 hp (95 kW) and was available with an optional automatic. There have been many cases of GS owners upgrading the engine to a 2.5L V6 (either North American spec 168HP KLDE or the Japanese spec 200HP KLZE). Upgrading to this engine size added the unofficial GSR trim to the MX-3 while giving it the added performance comparible to many modern sport cars.

The MX-3 was marketed as the Mazda MX-3 Precidia in Canada, the Eunos 30X in Australia, and as the Eunos Presso, Autozam AZ-3 and Mazda AZ-3 in Japan.

The MX-3 is notable for having one of the lowest displacement V6 engines ever fitted to a production vehicle, with a 1.8 L V6.

It had a top speed of approximately 136 mph (219 km/h), and a 0-60 mph (100 km/h) time of 8.5 seconds. It has a turn rate of 0.89 g (8.7 m/s²) and its handling capabilities are one of the best in class.

The V6 engine was impressive for the time, belonging to the Mazda K-series, which were used in a range of Mazda vehicles. These engines were designed to be smooth, very long lasting, and high torque across the RPM range. These engines used a variable length intake manifold (VLIM), in order to provide optimal torque using intake resonance. Mazda called their system on the MX-3 the "Variable Resonance Induction System" (VRIS). This engine had a 7000 RPM redline, and a 7800 RPM fuel cutoff.

The MX-3 used Mazda's proprietary Twin-Trapezoidal Link (TTL) for the rear suspension. It passively allowed the rear wheels to turn slightly in order to enhance handling. It has been used on a range of Mazda vehicles, providing a smooth ride, yet delivering responsive handling while minimizing body lean.

In 1993, Mazda Canada offered a limited Special Edition model of its Mazda MX-3 GS to celebrate the company's 25th year in Canada. At the same time, Mazda USA offered a similar model as a Special Edition as well. Only a total of 2,000 Special Edition models were supposedly made. The special edition MX-3 featured a slightly tuned version of the V6 engine, heated leather seats, custom 15 in alloy wheels. Most special edition models came in the color Raspberry Metallic, however, there were also Blaze Red and Brilliant Black colors available for the Special Edition.

mx-3 tuner website

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I remember back in my install days someone brought one in for a radio install, V6 in manual trim. When you see cars all day, once in a while one rolls in that you really want to drive. If I'd had the chance, I would have tore up the street with it. I wonder the 1/4 mile times, probably a mini-beast.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...