Carpc V.2.0

malice4you

As some of you may remember, I custom-built a full-powered computer for use in my car last year. However, due to use of a desktop hard drive, I had data issues with the hard drive within 2 months if it being installed, even though I thought I had provided enough protection against vibration. I removed the PC from the car after that.

I planned to get a laptop hard drive for the updated version of the computer, as well as a smaller motherboard. However, last year prices for what I was looking for were higher than I planned to go and I'd already spent way too much on the CarPC.

So, for many months, v.1.0 sat in the basement collecting dust. However, after talking to Don a few days ago, the subject came up, and I decided to do more research. I found parts I was looking for that had dropped in price by HALF since i last looked. I promptly ordered last week, and I'm expecting the last product to arrive Tuesday.

The last few nights, I have worked on a case made out of Lexan and wood. Case itself measures approx 11x14x3.75 inches, though it may be shrunk down a tad depending on needs. I was hoping for a case as short as possible, but the power supply and heatsink/fan need to have at least a little room on at least one side, and they are the tallest devices in the case. The wood should hopefully support weight on top of it, since I have put in a few structural pieces to hopefully support weight being put on top of it. I will have to test this before it is put in the intended location. If it fails, I will put some aluminum L brackets on critical structural parts.

The computer is not some 500MHz Via C3 that runs worse than a 7 year old computer like many Carputers, it is a full powered desktop system, capable of playing DVDs, real gaming, etc. While it does currently have onboard video, I may use the old video card again (geforce 5200) if the mood strikes. I will not be putting in an ATi All-In-Wonder series card, like was in the original carputer. I don't currently see the need, unless I can figure out a way to get that card to work with wireless TV signals. If I can do that, then I may figure out a way to get a TV antenna in the trunk and hook that into the PC. I also had an All-In-Wonder in so I could take video camera input and immediately view it if I wanted. Again, don't see the need for this currently.

Specs:

Celeron 2.4GHz

512MB DDR333 RAM

MSI mobo with onboard video/audio/wired lan

80GB toshiba laptop hard drive - cost $30 less than a 20GB laptop hard drive was going for last year, and $150 less than an 80GB was going for last year

24x CD-RW/DVD-ROM laptop drive

150W DC power supply (the most expensive internal part actually)

possibly a SB live sound card, depending on quality of onboard sound

windows XP home

wireless remote control w/ mouse control

7" touchscreen LCD

Microsoft GPS

USB hub

mini-keyboard, wired optical mouse

To be added: USB wireless network 'card' to retain wireless network functions (original had a PCI wirless card), memory card reader, webcam (dashcam)?, and a few other goodies....

It's interesting to note that my laptop is actually less powerful than my car will be in most situations.

Mounting is currently expected to be in a COMPLETELY hidden spot and will not take up any space that was not already used. This means no one will know it's there.

I'll post a few pics of the finalized case before mounting...and after mounting heh....

I made the PC out of some parts I had laying around, which is why I used a celeron 2.4GHz. If I were doing it again now, I would use a desktop board for the Pentium M processor, and go for as small a case as possible. Ideally, I'd have liked to make this PC the size of a 1U server case, height-wise. If the power supply were smaller, I think that could have been done. I probably can shave as much as .5 inches off the height, but that's a bit more risky. If I could use longer cables from the power supply, mount the supply in the trunk, and the rest of the PC elsewhere, I could make the case 10.5x9x3" or less. If i could get an even SMALLER motherboard (this was miniATX, there are microATX out there), I could probably fit it almost anywhere I'd want.

there's so little space on the LCD at 1024x768 for an onboard keyboard...the keyboard I got for the CarPC is smaller than some laptop ones anyway, and it fits perfectly where I want it and it's out of the way.

Still waiting for the laptop CD drive to arrive finally (tomorrow)

I've missed hte CarPC - can't wait for it to get back in there...a few more tiny things that need to get ironed out

case and hardware are pretty much done. need to get one part, which I can get locally.

After that, time for software install and stress testing.

Install will require modifications to the setup I've got currently, including removal of the rear seat and rewiring a few things. Weather permitting, I'm hoping things shall be set up by this weekend

If you still do plan to do a CarPC, trust me, talk to me before tackling it. I've spent way, way more on this PC - time, energy, especially money - than I should have. If I were to do a second for someone I could do it a lot cheaper and perhaps smaller. Using the right stuff from the start could result in a PC that was in multiple 'compartments' which could be made much smaller or into a much smaller cube. I've seen a full windows-based PC fit into a double-DIN space - though I'm not there just yet.....

I put the computer together myself, yes. I would have to check up on costs to build a similar one if you would be interested. I'd also need to know the size of the area it'd be going into.

However, right now I'm redoing the computer to fit in the space I intended it to be in. The one I posted above won't fit as well as expected where I wanted it to be.

it will be compartmentalized, but I need to find a place for the hard drive. It may go a new spot I've been thinking about, with the power supply mounted in the trunk. I'm liking this idea better as it's a hell of a lot smaller too.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I feel bad enough for having the lightest weight sound system i could conceive of in my milly, let alone a computer. I have seen a carpc in an Avenger with a small screen and an IBM touchpad mouse. Worked great, but not in my car building style.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...