Automotive Led Bulb Types

mts

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well well well...

IPB Image

(left to right, incandescent 194, 5-LED 194, new Warden SMT 194, and incandescent 921)

These bulbs could be marketed as 921 bulbs in terms of size and performance, however they are not as 'fat' so 194 applications which are not too height-limited (such as the Eunie's parkers) will work well. How well?

IPB Image

IPB Image

The bulb on the right might almost look like a HID capsule, but it is the new Warden SMT 194 out-shining the classic 5-LED 194 by a crazy margin!

A few points to note:

* The longevity of this bulb is untested, but expected to be reasonable

* They do not fit in many applications, such as door lights or side indicators

* The red version is very likely to be a great option for the 921 3rd stop light (currently my famous 'garden lights' are still going strong).

* Unfortunately the colour temperature of the 2 bulbs Warden sent me does not quite match, which is a problem I've had before. I have found these bulbs will work great in my map lights, however, so another pair is in order and the closest-matching pair will become the Eunie's parkers.

In summary, these bulbs are a long-awaited revolution in 194!

• 3 weeks later...

IPB Image

Another new product from Warden, currently available only in 1156 white form (ie reversing lights). I can't really justify the effort of changing my current LEDs which also have 3 high power LEDs shining forward plus 24 small LEDs sideways, although they are not as powerful.

But for anyone buying today, this would be a great value product to work with.

• 2 months later...

IPB Image

"Eagle Eye 5

Wide-Angle 180 degrees High-Powered 5 Watt Led + 4x super-powered SMT Leds

The most powerful led tail light bulb ever made---1-3/4"" x 15/16" diameter

Note: 1157 version operates the 5 Watt led in bright mode (ie: brakes and turn signals) and the 4x SMT leds for dim mode (running lights).

1156 version operates all 5 leds simultaneously"

Available in red and amber for $24.99 Each.

The bad news is that despite all that power there has been no effort made to illuminate sideways. But the good news is that at long last, they are giving serious distinction between low and high modes for dual filament 1157s.

• 2 months later...

I just bought and tried couple leds. The first one you showed prolly sucks. Second one should be much better, but i didnt try it. One led i tried had 22mm diameter and it didnt fit, i had to file the housing and uninstall the cap on the led to make it fit, PITA. I doubt 20mm would fit.

This was very bright but didnt try it since the guy sent single circuit ones.

IPB Image

Don, that's a really tough call. I'd give superlumination the benefit of the doubt, since there looks to be slightly SMT LED higher surface area.

If so, I would suggest investing in a LED protectors which you'll find alongside their LED flashers and load resistors.

The issue with LEDs not fitting is typically a thing of the past now, as SMT/high power etc technologies happen to be quite compact.