Leds

ChiTown

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

worked! i also used some epoxy to secure the red lens in the 3rd brake housing, it rattled when you shook it, now it doesnt and is ready for a sub in the trunk!

good thing i had a red 1156 from what my buddy gave me out of his audi. (he had red turn signals)

now i have extra bulbs. one red 1156 tower (leftover from the audi) and two red 921 9led minitowers (bought the wrong bulbs, will work in 95-96 3rd brake light housings). anyone interested??

nope, there is just a single 1156 bulb in there, I believe the 95-96 had 2 192 or 921 bulbs and the 01-02 had 5 921 bulbs

yup just one bulb in my 3rd brake housing on my 00'. it said P21W, thee 1156 fits, it will work then??

P21W needs to be watched... sometimes there are offset pins... instead of being 180deg apart they are at 120 degrees... can be a real piss off.

How much you want for the mini-towers?

its not the P21W with the 120 degree pins, its the 1157's in the tails, thats how i broke one, pushing it in, after that i just bent the housing out a little and it slid in.

5 bucks each for the 921 mini towers, 1/2 price, you pay shipping. i have two red ones...

its not the P21W with the 120 degree pins, its the 1157's in the tails, thats how i broke one, pushing it in, after that i just bent the housing out a little and it slid in.

5 bucks each for the 921 mini towers, 1/2 price, you pay shipping. i have two red ones...

PM me an paypal addy and how much it would be to snail mail to Hamilton Ontario Canada

Since we are talking lights.... Millenia Quiz...

How many other things are tied to the tail light fuse?

So when the tail light fuse is blown.... very easy to diagnose after you know.... for the first thing that happens ( and is immediately worrisome) the dash gauge lights are go out.... also the fog lights cease to work, even though they have a separate fuse, the switch is fused with the tail lights. The fuse is under the hood, in the fuse box. Taillights cease to work, but brake lights still do...

I have lots of led's I will soon be selling mts, not full towers, but with top and side led's.

now, as for the cruise issue, I have created a very indepth thread on hidplanet and this is what we have come up with.

First off, I believe there actually 21w bulbs, but just ot make the math easier to follow and allow some room for error lets say there 24w bulbs in the millenia.

24W / 12V = 2A.

12V / 2A = 6Ohms

so to have the equivalent you'd need a 6 Ohm resistor replacement for each bulb. and you need a resistor rated at 25W.

There are infact 6ohm 25w resistors made for turn signal fixes which should be a perfect match. I will when I get the time and medicine be experimenting, first by placing a standard bulb in say just the outers and leaving the inner led's in and seeing if cruise is fixed, then switch around and see if it makes a difference, I'm hoping to be able to get away with just 2 resistors, 1 on each side

PM me an paypal addy and how much it would be to snail mail to Hamilton Ontario Canada

I will get on it and let you know.

I have lots of led's I will soon be selling mts, not full towers, but with top and side led's.

now, as for the cruise issue, I have created a very indepth thread on hidplanet and this is what we have come up with.

First off, I believe there actually 21w bulbs, but just ot make the math easier to follow and allow some room for error lets say there 24w bulbs in the millenia.

24W / 12V = 2A.

12V / 2A = 6Ohms

so to have the equivalent you'd need a 6 Ohm resistor replacement for each bulb. and you need a resistor rated at 25W.

There are infact 6ohm 25w resistors made for turn signal fixes which should be a perfect match. I will when I get the time and medicine be experimenting, first by placing a standard bulb in say just the outers and leaving the inner led's in and seeing if cruise is fixed, then switch around and see if it makes a difference, I'm hoping to be able to get away with just 2 resistors, 1 on each side

or, a 3ohm on each side for front and rear, that what i had with no issues...

Can you post pics of the 921s you speak of, even from the autolumination site?

IPB Image

no, I'm referring to front turn signals, there is no reason for them to be in front, hence they are pure show. led's are complex and expensive to design in true dot testing, they may look cool, and they last long, but automakers don't want long lasting parts, there used because fron a saftey standpoint there faster ignition times allow a few extra feet at 40 and like 7extra feet at 60 from faster responses, this is why barely any cars have led turn signals but so many have brake led's, in the front this is utterly useless since someone would be in front of you and your job to watch out, any turn signal as a incandesant would give plenty of time since the difference in speed may only be 1-10mph reasonable speaking

But if they last longer (as long as they claim), then you don't have to change them for as long as you own the car. This in itself is reason to buy them for a large percentage of the population, since they can't change their damb bulbs.

And, since they last so long, then safety is also a reason since there's less chance of getting a burnt out bulb.

But if they last longer (as long as they claim), then you don't have to change them for as long as you own the car. This in itself is reason to buy them for a large percentage of the population, since they can't change their damb bulbs.

And, since they last so long, then safety is also a reason since there's less chance of getting a burnt out bulb.

from a CONSUMER stand point you are correct, but from an automakers point of view its not, I think you would be suprised how many people will buy a bulb or a wiper blade or something small liek that from a dealer just because there there for an oil change, or driving by.

led's overall are still more expensive then a single bulb, but the price is coming down every day, its the design that eats up all the budget. This si why lower end cars ahve the dots, they just stick the leds in there basically. Whereas higher end cars have a very clean look to them and you can't tell where the led bulbs actually are.

To make my point, I will even use chink ridden acura as an example.

TSX - no leds except mirrors (stupid and worthless)

TL - brake light leds, large led bulbs stacked in a row, no led turns. LED's all ahve a high/low setting

RL - complex reflector led setup, led light is referected to form an output pattern, low setting is an outer diagram ring, brake high triggers a starburst inner cluster of super-flux led's.

chi, these resistors would be on the brake lights to fix the cruise control issue, I have zero desire for front facing led turns as those are rice by intent and concept. I do have a 3ohm 35w resistor on each turn signal in the rear with my LED towers there

i see, i hope that fixes the issue...my replacement tower is on its way so we will know if i have the cruise issue shortly...if you only have led turns in the rear dont you only need a 6ohm resistor on each side?.....led front turns are damn sweet, they are crisper and since i park with the hazards on at least 3 times a day i like to have all the leds in unison. also they are invisable in the housing unlike the orange bulb behind the clear lenses on my 00', i would put the chrome amber bulbs in but they are not as bright.

on that subject, currently my outer tails are led and the inner tails are not, there is no visable difference in light output at both levels. the leds however are much more red in color and you can see the reflection of individual dots of red light in the housing, they look soo much better than the stock bulbs!

i also replaced the bulbs above the the plate with super white 5matrix 194's. this is a cheap upgrade that i would recommend to everyone because it updates the look of the car, the light is super bright and slightly blue like my hids, you will notice leds above the plate on the new lexus IS 250's for comparison...

Correct, I also bought my 1157 360 degree high power red 1157s from there too. Good affordable stuff for the masses at Warden.

One of the latest products there is the heatsink-equipped version of the high power 194 (which doubles up as an indictment of the original). Not the 194 tower as J-allan has... yet.

IPB Image