For My 01-02 S, I've Decided On Navigation

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Kenwood does have a wallpaper feature as mentioned, which is pretty much the start-up logo BHR mentioned.

The feature to stop it operating while moving is required by law here too. It is (I believe) nothing more than a connection to the handbrake, which would be ridiculously easy to trick into thinking the handbrake was on at all times.

The Kenwood does have a wallpaper feature as mentioned, which is pretty much the start-up logo BHR mentioned.

The feature to stop it operating while moving is required by law here too. It is (I believe) nothing more than a connection to the handbrake, which would be ridiculously easy to trick into thinking the handbrake was on at all times.

Hmm so when you pull the hand brake it turns on, interesting..

no, its usually a sensor that detects motion, ifnact I know the way it works in the Jeep is there is NO connection to the car what so ever, but by virtue of being navigation it tracks speed and movement through satalites, you can't just clip a wire, you need a special cd with a hacked firmware version on it

no, its usually a sensor that detects motion, ifnact I know the way it works in the Jeep is there is NO connection to the car what so ever, but by virtue of being navigation it tracks speed and movement through satalites, you can't just clip a wire, you need a special cd with a hacked firmware version on it

I am not sure, BUT I think Trout is more right. It only deactivates the DVD player in the software if the handbrake is down. This does not affect the systems that use DVD for navigation, instead of an internal HD like the DNX-7100, as they use different software then movies.

nope, they got smart to that, it was 2 easy for the average person to fix. Many systems are much better through the speed tracking system, its much more accurate and *can't* just be disabled, plus on newer systems it allows you to make navigation inputs up to a certain speed, say 10-15mph, the idea being in traffic etc.

On my jeep the original nav disc did not do this, handbrake made no difference at all, but when I got a new disc with new maps and new firmware it could be used up to 10mph.

That being said, on the pioneer you can just buy the disc off ebay for 25 bucks and it will work at all speeds

JUST SOME INFO I FOUND WITH A SIMPLE SEARCH

read and be careful if you use the information... your stereo.... your car.... your life

Background: What people do not know is that the AVIC-N2/D1 is the same in every country, although in every country other then the US you can watch DVD’s and use all of your Navigation features. A question my electronics shop asked ourselves was, if the hardware is the same, the software is the same they what is the AVIC missing to keep you from being able to use all of its features. Other bypass’s make you use 3-6 switches and relays and opening up the brain to the unit or cutting the GPS wire.

Solution: All that’s needed is one wire….The difference between all the units in the other country is they have a wire connecting two different processors and this is how you do it.

AVIC- N2: On the Dash unit not the Brain underneath the unit is a small silver sticker, peel this back. There are two contacts with the label "R197" or label "F197" there should be two soldier points loop a wire between those two points AND DONE!!!! Everything bypassed, THE REAL WAY TO DO IT.

AVIC-D1: Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull one of the wires out. Or, if you do not use the A.ANT lead, pull that out of the harness. In the AVIC-D1 harness, there is one open spot on the connector (next to the ground wire). Put the wire into the open spot on the connector, connect the other side to ground, then re-connect the plug to the AVIC-D1. Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire (or connect to a toggle switch if you feel the need).

Before you continue please read:

Your warranty will be voided unless you keep this mod very clean so you can undo it and they will never even notice that you did it, our Pioneer rep actually is the person who filled me in on this information. Also, Use 26 Gauge (or something close) and this is very important: DO NOT DROP SOLDIER, if you look carefully, there are traces around these two points that absolutely cannot be contacted. It was hard for me to do because these points were so small and that the wire was so thin. It is best to use a soldering iron that has a super fine tip and heats up better then most…if you feel uncomfortable with this process then take it to a electronics or computer repair shop and they could do it for you in 5 minutes and for around $5 bucks….be very careful, b/c if you touch these traces I do not know what will happen or want to know what will happen...this is like most mods, it’s a very simple mod (the easiest type you can find) although like anything a lot is at stake and could go wrong, please, if you do not feel comfortable doing this then DON’T, spending an extra $5 is worth it to get it done right…

The silver sticker is located on the underside of the display unit. It is about 3/4 inch long and 1/2 wide. This silver sticer covers an access hole 1/2 inch long, 1/4 inch wide. The sticker comes off with a single sided blade. When the hole is exposed you will see a tiny R197 and below it two silver pins. The pins do not stick up very far and are not easy to solder wires onto.

Here is what the problems are.

The 197 pins are actually isolated in a metal box or circuit board, which is painted so that it will not conduct electricity. The pins are surrounded by wax to insulate them from the box or circuit board. If you touch the pins too long with a solder iron you will melt the wax and ruin the possibility of soldering anything to the pins. If you solder sloppy you will short out the pins to the box, and the radio will stop working. In order to fix the sloppy soldering and make the radio work, you have to scrape all around the pins with an exacto knife to make sure that no solder remains between the pins and the surrounding metal plate or circuit board.. The radio will work after you remove the excess solder, however, your bypass plans will be ruined, the pins will melt and will also be covered with wax. I learned a lesson with this one. However, I just received a new unit for my motorhome and decided to try again, but decided not to use solder. Here is what I did to make it work without solder.

I found a tiny screw with a flat head. The screw was about as wide as the screws that hold the display unit in the dash sleeve, but much longer. I cut the screw down with a pair of diag. plyers and stuck the flat part to a piece of clear packing tape. I then took the tape and covered the hole, with the long end of the screw inside the hole, making sure the screw touched both 197 pins. Since the tape is clear you can make sure you got the screw to touch both pins. You have to make sure that the tape lays flat and that the screw is cut to the perfect length, otherwise the bulge in the tape will not allows the radio to slide back into the sleeve.

I did this tonight and whammo, the bypass worked, I watched TV while driving around the neighboring streets, also tried a DVD video. Just to expand the test, I also tried the navigation and everything was unlocked while driving. So, I have to take back my warnings, this bypass method works perfectly and doesn't effect the navigation gyro or accuracy of the GPS.

The tiny screw deal was just a quick and dirty method of trying the bypass, I'm sure with experimentation we can find other ways of jumping those pins together without dropping solder or taping screws to packing tape. In the next few days I'm going to experiment with making some kind of silicone plug with a piece of wire sticking out in order to jump the two pins together. (did I spell silicone right?) That way I can just put the plug into the hole and tape over it.

Anyhow, newbie post or whatever, jumping the R197 pins does work, it is really the best and most simple method, it doesn't need relays and switches to work, however, the brake wire still has to be grounded.

The various switch installations These methods work, but involve intalling variations of additional relays or toggle switches. These methods enable the watching of DVDs while in motion, howver, in some variations, the video is patched through the backup camera port. A disclaimer appears on the screen and entering navigation data while moving is questionable.

The dripping solder method using the R197 pins covered by silver tape on the bottom side of the display unit:

This method is the absolute best method, it really does open up the use of the unit without restriction or disclaimers on the screen. The dowside is your ability to solder a jumper between two tiny pins that can only be accessed through a factory access hole in the bottom of the unit. The pins are surrounded by wax which will melt when hot. If the wax melts too much, the pins will be covered and you will not be able to solder. I know, I tried it the first time and failed.

Using some other device to jump the 197 pins:

After the first failure at soldering, I got a new radio and tried using a less permanent method, a screw attached to packing tape. I attached it to tape so that it would be held in place in the access hole and would not fall inside the radio. This method worked, but, I scrapped the idea because it was too much trouble and the screw could come loose. I decided to re-visit the solder method, and devise a better way than dripping the molten solder.

The latest new and improved 197 solder method which almost anyone can do:

1. Uncover the access hole by removing the silver tape on the underside of the display unit. You will see R197 printed over two tiny pins.

2. Put some rubbing *This reference banned by MW* on a small piece of paper towel, wrap it around a small screw driver, and clean the 197 pins so excess wax will be removed.

3. Cut a small piece of sanding paper and using the screw driver rub it over the pins so the solder will have a better chance of sticking.

4. Take some thin electrical wire, must be a size smaller than number 18, strip the insulation back 1/16 inch, and prepare the stripped end by adding solder.

5. Use a soldering iron that has a pointed end. I ground mine down on a grinder to make sure it would easily fit into the access hole and still enable me to see.

6. Holding the wire in your left hand, place the soldered end between the two 197 pins, insert the soldering iron and carefully heat the end of the wire like you are soldering it to the pins. Three things will happen. You will solder the wire to the pins, which is fine. Some solder will drip off and short the pins, which is fine. Or, you will fail, nothing will be harmed if you don't melt the wax. Very little solder is needed. If the wire sticks to the pins, fine, clip the wire off and make sure no bare ends touch the case.

I took my time using method six, the unit now allows unrestricted use.

In all cases I grounded the emergency brake wire, don't know if I had to, but, did it anyway.

You may be violating state law by messing with the radio and watching DVDs while driving. Do this at your own risk.

If you don't know how to solder, or fail at jumping the 197 pins, and you screw up your radio, welcome to the club. That is what testing is all about. If you don't want to take the chance, don't touch the radio. Enjoy it in the stock configuration. This is my last post...until somone figures out something better. My other two Avics are now modified, mission accomplished. I can now watch music videos while stuck in CA traffic, rolling along at ten miles per hour.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-132721.html

http://www.acidstudioz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5926

Can the pioneer avic-n3 play dvds while driving?

Answer

WARNING: Any video in view of the driver is illegal unless the vehicle is NOT in motion.

With the power off to the unit:

1.) Connect the parking brake wire to the chassis ground, the head unit's black ground wire can be used.

2.) Remove the yellow MUTE wire and pin from the male plug that goes into the back of the head unit using a small screwdriver or pin, and re-insert it into the socket directly above the previously used mute wire socket.

3.) Turn on the unit and it will continue to WARN you it is unsafe to view video (or navigation) from the driver's seat but video will work from the front. I recommend using this only when parked, otherwise videos can be listened to safely with the video output being sent to the back seats.

4.) If the unit does not allow video to continue to be watched, reset the receiver.

all that is nice mts, but its the wrong model, D3, the d1 is that ghetto flip out unit.

you are correct on the U.S law, no device may be in view of the driver while the car is in motion, navigation systems always have that "accept" button where you promise to pay attention and not drive like the idiot people are anyway.

I also know for a fact that the unit is not the same in every country, and the software is very very different.

example - gooks can't read, they need there picure words

example - europe has different FM bands for radio, unless altered with in the unit, the radio wouldn't work

Example - software is different because you need a new disc and firmware depending where you are

example - the U.S has by far the most advanced satalites in the sky, followed of course by russia, france, britain etc. Different satalites use different software, U.S satalites do not use the metric system, so a nav unit designed to work overseas wouldn't work here, a simple software change, but needed

Come to think of it, I wonder how many satalites, goverment or private are used for communications outside of U.S/canada and europe. I know the U.S doesn't loan out theres, and most private ones, like say XM etc are in a fixed orbit above certain points.

example - the U.S has by far the most advanced satalites in the sky, followed of course by russia, france, britain etc. Different satalites use different software, U.S satalites do not use the metric system, so a nav unit designed to work overseas wouldn't work here, a simple software change, but needed

:wtf: are you talking about? GPS: GLOBAL positioning system. Navstar GPS is the only positioning system in the world now, and owned by USA. It is open and free to use up to certain accuracy to everyone on the planet (even Iran) hence planes can land, we can use car navigation. More accurate military band is used by US Army and some allies. Of course the system is build totally on metric system. A GPS device can find the coordinates anywhere on the land, sea and in the atmosphere and even in inner space as far as there are 4 (or sometimes even 3) satellite signals. If you have the maps you can use an EU navigation in US.

Shhh don't tell him the the world does NOT revlove around the US.... and I believe I posted the bypasses to more than just the D series... but again you do not read... just blow off steam without a clue...

I wouldnt watch videos while driving either. Only reason for me to buy a double din one day is rear view cam with night vision and maybe navigation. I am surprised how well the cam works. For drilling i dont think it looks too bad. It is black yet small, noone would tell there is something except you:

IPB Image

For the park sensors the bumper is repainted at Mazda but they cannot paint the cam, should stay black..