Engine Reliabilty

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look its simple, I have been going over millenia's for sale every single day for the last 2 motnhs, everywhere I look there are 2.5's with blown engines or trannies, those are the parts cars, they are the ones shot, and all have under 160k, I have yet to find a single S with a blown engine, only 1 with a bad tranny (more like just fluid, and it had 250k) and the only 2.3 parts cars are the ones that have been crashed

ill make sure my car go's past 160k haha even though my tranny did blow on its own.. Thank god mazda paid for it since we were such loyal costumers. the dealer actually told us if they didnt fix it for free they would give us a mazda 3 but yea mazda trannys just arnt good.

BHR, your theory is still flawed. Hers never saw the dealership, that's true, but I highly doubt (actually I know for a fact) that hers wasn't the only one that never saw a dealership. Do you honestly believe that hers was the only one that wasn't serviced/repaired at a dealership? Since other milly's are on the road that haven't been to a dealer, then that would suggest the dealership has nothing to do with reliability.

The 'L' is cheaper than the 'S', broke assed hobo's don't take care of cars, unmaintained cars are less reliable. Therefore cheaper = unreliable. That makes more sense than dealership serviced.

ren, the L isn't that much cheaper then the S.

and what about people who buy clearly crappy cars and don't do shit to them

all I'm saying is searching any for sale sextion you can find blown 2.5's anytime, anywhere, and all with low mileage, if it was 200-250k I wouldn't care, but 120k, come on

The efficiency of the MCE with it's open valves during the beginning of the intake stroke might put less stress on the bottom end of the engine compared to the 2.5. So if 2.5s die from engine damage that might explain it.

G.

Thats a good reasoning. Actually i was regretting about why i didnt go with a less problematic 2.5L when i first bought the S as reading all the s/c issues. Looking at the overall engine including s/c 2.5L is by far more reliable.

What causes an engine to blow? oil starvation?

In general longer stroke will give more torque on lower revs, at the cost of ability to rev. The KL (and KJ) are shortstroke engines at 75,5 mm, which in the 2,5 is taken advantage of with a high redline of 7 or 7,5 k depending of version. And the 2,5 does have rather low torque for its capasity; it was constructed before variable cam timing became common technology. And variable timing is often used to achieve better torque on lower revs, giving a wider spread of power. The Mazda 6 2,0 is a good example; variable valvetiming in the facelift model may have given only 5 hp more and give or take same maximum torque. But the torque on lower revs is vastly improved, and makes the car a whole lot faster in real life, read everyday driving on lower revs. The stroke is 83,1 or somethng, which means bore is bigger than stroke in that one too; rather shortstroke. The previous 2,0 has over 90 mm stroke, a typical longstroke slugger configuration with fairly impressive midrange. A few millimetres difference may sound insignificant, but tells a whole lot about an engine. Anyone having driven both engines (previous 2,0 compared to 2,5) will agree that the fun just begins in the 2,5 where the 2,0 will do a better job on the next cog. Read 5 k.

That's because the price of the 'S' dropped to the 'L' level due to it's pos s/c and people's expectations of failure.

Stroke=torque, and bore=hp. Longer strokes pose more engine problems than bigger bores. With a longer stroke you need a taller block, which adds weight, you also get more torque, which means you have to beef up other parts (tranny) to cope. Not to mention longer strokes lead to piston and cylinder wall damage because of the bigger angle between the rod and the piston/wall. And as Xedos pointed out, they're rpm restricted. With longer strokes piston speeds become an issue.