Ca Emissions Results

enginph

I surprisingly failed emissions today. Here is what I got 2 years ago:

IPB Image

List of what is done in 2 years:

- New spark plugs (correct part number, did it myself)

- New Tees and hoses

- New PCV valve (OEM)

- New thermostate (OEM)

- New fuel filter (OEM)

- Oil shifted from M1 10w30 to Amsoil 5w40

No codes in 2 years. Here is what I get today:

IPB Image

HCs are high and CO is relatively high.

My oil has 4300miles on and the fuel was the same as 2 years ago. Oil consumption is almost the same as before, 1 qt per 1000miles. There is a storm and it is very humid today.

When they remove the bumper to paint they changed the driver side yellow parking bulb, I found a broken bulb in the airbox. Since they didnt change me for the bulb change I am not gonna bitch about this. I cleaned the MAF after failing btw. There were two small flies stuck in MAF mesh (no idea what they are doing there) but other than that it looks pretty clean.

I put 91 octane 2 tanks ago. Is it possible that it still thinks there is 91 in the tank and use the related a/f maps? I think 89 octane is better in terms of HC failure so I will go with it for the next test.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

woah woah woah, 1qt of oil in 1k, thats pretty extreme, even my Jeep burns less then 1/4th at 3500 miles. Your oil is hella old but shouldn't cause a failure, IMO there probably just telling you that you failed so you'll buy a hybrid.

Question: why have you gone to 5w-40? Proper weight is 10w-30 or 5w-30 syn. Your making the engine work alot harder, that or your cat might be STARTING to go bad

woah woah woah, 1qt of oil in 1k, thats pretty extreme, even my Jeep burns less then 1/4th at 3500 miles. Your oil is hella old but shouldn't cause a failure, IMO there probably just telling you that you failed so you'll buy a hybrid.

Question: why have you gone to 5w-40? Proper weight is 10w-30 or 5w-30 syn. Your making the engine work alot harder, that or your cat might be STARTING to go bad

I changed to 5w40 hoping that it would cut off my oil consumption. It had no effect, so I will go back to 5w30. O2 sensor may also be old enough..

• 3 weeks later...
I always change my oil just before a Smog test....mine is due in May....ugh....not looking forward to that as my milly is in need of some $$$$ and a tune-up.....I may even have a failed O2 censor but my CEL has been gone for months now.

My air filter is also 28k old. It may have an effect.

I passed btw. Results are not comfortable though..

IPB Image

• 3 weeks later...