Middle Muffler?

01mazda

I read an article on www.autospeed.com where they replaced the exhaust on some Nissan. The goal was to reduce restriction, increase power but keep noise increase to a minimum.

They measured the restriction imposed by the components of the exhaust, including the centre resonator. The exhaust from the cat to the tail pipe presented something like 44kpa of pressure drop (restriction) while the resonator was only a 2kpa restriction.

They still left it out when they upgraded the system.

Their result from their 4 cylinder engine is that it sounded fine without the centre resonator.

A lot would depend on what other exhaust components you have though.

G.

similar applies to intake resonator. You guys thought it would be a noticeable increase with the resonator off. But its is a larger pipe on the intake.

I read an article on www.autospeed.com where they replaced the exhaust on some Nissan. The goal was to reduce restriction, increase power but keep noise increase to a minimum.

They measured the restriction imposed by the components of the exhaust, including the centre resonator. The exhaust from the cat to the tail pipe presented something like 44kpa of pressure drop (restriction) while the resonator was only a 2kpa restriction.

They still left it out when they upgraded the system.

Their result from their 4 cylinder engine is that it sounded fine without the centre resonator.

A lot would depend on what other exhaust components you have though.

G.

I don't think it would be "louder" per say, but it wouldn't sound as smooth or refined as the MCE is, even with a custom 2.5" exhaust its still smooth.

But like graham said, its not alot of pressure. If your going to pay to have the car up on a lift and working on the exhaust, spend 150 dollars for a custom 2.5" catback and get a remus, then'll get plenty of power

:huh2:

it doesn't sound like stock, but it doesn't sound like an aftermarket exhaust, thats the whole point, nice and deep as low revs, high pitch exotic at high revs, amazing flow, great sound, and never annoying.

Just found this.

Geez, rice can,:lol:

Here, have a look around : www.RemusExhaustShop.com

Under "universals" there will be exhaust of your interest.

We're having a 15% price increase in '08 thanks to our poor USD!

• 4 weeks later...

why r they not the same?

because it is 2 pipes going in to on..... Every Muffler shop i have gone to wont touch it.. I wanted 2.5inch all the way back.

oh and to answer your other question... the cats are right of the manifold... and that honeycomb thing is a flex tube so the engine can move with out braking the exhuast pipe