Smoking Post Closed

Jdubs99

What a bitch, I was looking for the reply button like a fat kid looking for cake. Anyway, the root issue comes down to liberty. Second hand smoke damage is still an "up in the air" issue. Some waitresses in smoking restaurants get lung cancer at age 30, and the smokers in the restaurant die in car accidents on the way home at age 80 perfectly healthy. As shitty a deal as it is, there it is.

Like I've said before in some of my philosophical posts, life is built on dominant/submissive relationships. We all trade true liberty for safety, government for the right to do whatever we want to do.

Smoking is one such issue representing a larger issue, especially in the US. In general, smoking is banned everywhere except for business that own the building (notwithstanding a no smoking policy), and outside (in certain areas now). It comes down to the margin point of the good of all vs. the good of the rest. I'm a smoker. At this point in time, I can smoke in my home, in my car, and in designated areas away from others at work and school, and on my time away from both. This in no way, shape or form inhibits others.

The line gets crossed when liberties are removed that are a direct impediment to my liberties.

Things kind of get gray here, like paying into a group health plan. Nevermind the fact the company has already calculated bad habits and bad genetics into prices.

Look into the past, vaunted and recent. Manifest destiny, let's forcefully move Native Americans (part of my heritage) as far west as far as we can go. Oops, we decided we need the land after the fact. You guys get a little bit here and there, we'll call them reservations.

Let's look at the present. Damn, your house is in the way of a major new viaduct. Imminent domain, we are going to give you fair market value (lol, how often is it fair) for your house, now find a new place to live. If you refuse for too long, you get arrested for protecting your home, even in a peaceful resistance.

This happened in my neighborhood recently with the widening of a road.

If you resist the taking of your liberties for the good of all, you are punished.

Going into the future, it is predicted that health care will be as high as 33% of your income. The health care companies will demand the right to monitor your body 24/7 through the use of clothing with nano technology, and sensors built into toilets, or having to scan your ID at a barbershop and your hair is sent to a labratory for substance testing. If you do something contrary to your health, lets say one night of drinking, they have the right to raise your premiums.

Let's say that the US says that all engine modifications, past and present, on all vehicles on the road, are now prohibited, and quarterly visits are enforced to ensure compliance. Or maybe everyone must buy a hybrid by 2009? Who has the resources on the forum to fit compliance?

Who would not resist this kind of infraction on personal liberty with personal resources on the line?

I smoke, I'm not affecting anyone else, I pay for my health insurance.

One of my favorite scenes reflecting liberty is from Escape from LA. Snake Plisken allows a neutron bomb to explode, taking out all electronics around the world, including a fundamentalist United States that has outlawed smoking, and is one nation under a christian God. He lights up a cigarillo at the end, and says "welcome to the human race".

I can agree with that, however, your right to smoke does not mean I have to give up my right to breath air that is not toxic to me and since I am allergic to cigarette smoke, the right to breathe in general. :) I too pay my premiums and such.

If I remember correctly, second hand smoke is far more unhealthy than sucking it thru the filter. Yes, you may live to be 80 if you smoke all your life. But those who breathe in second hand smoke are getting all the stuff you get and the stuff that is filtered out. Naturally, the 2nd hand smoke inhaling person will die sooner.

That being said, I am not saying to ban smoking permanently from anywhere, just allow me and others like me to be able to go to any place we want and not have to breathe in that stuff. You and other smokers should be allowed to smoke in a room just for you.

My only fuss with smokers besides that one, is that most (not all mind you, but most) smokers throw their butts on the ground. Or send them sailing out the window of their cars. That is littering and disgusting. Some throw their butts down and do not even put it out. It is still smoldering on the ground. Irritates me to no end.

one more rant about cigarette smoke from me.

In public places such as a restaurant, the smokers should be in an enclosed room and the restaurant should have adequate VENTILATION. It does us non - smokers no good if we still have to walk through the smoke to get to our "smoke free" location. And even if we are unable to smell it as well, we are still breathing in the second hand smoke.

Ok, two... :)

As a female, kissing a guy that smokes is nasty. It may not be to all females, but to me it is just as nasty as being licked on the face by a dog that has just eaten its own turd. Very disgusting. And no, mints do not get rid of the nasty taste.

That is my 2 cents worth on this subject for now.

The line gets crossed when liberties are removed that are a direct impediment to my liberties.

I think that pretty much sums it up, same thing with freedom of speech. You may have the right to say whatever you want, but what about others rights not to be offended and subjected (excluding asians of course)

Man, what's gonna happen if we get asian members?

posts will start crashing into together and the whole place will smell like rice.

I gotta say, smoking doesn't really bother me, I think people that do it are mentally weaker then others, but the actually smell or anything doesn't bother me, most of the time I hardly even notice. It could be because for so many years I worked in a place that was the inspiration for "boiler room" and 80% of the staff were chain smokers, but it just doesn't bother me. On my clothes sometimes its annoying, but you just wash them and there fine.

As a female, kissing a guy that smokes is nasty. It may not be to all females, but to me it is just as nasty as being licked on the face by a dog that has just eaten its own turd. Very disgusting. And no, mints do not get rid of the nasty taste.

That is my 2 cents worth on this subject for now.

I would also never kiss a guy who smokes. !!

I also agree with Roof but once had to forego my principles cause she was reaaalllyyy fine ! But never again !

It could be handled very easily, they could have establishments where smoking is allowed, staff that is hired, guess what, smokers only. And a great big sign outside that says " this is a smoker friendly bar, if you do not like it, or cannot handle it, go someowhere else."

I smoke, I enjoy it, and I am getting sick of my rights being trounced upon by the goverment trying to win votes by sympathizing with whatever the grass roots health nazies are on about at the time. If you want to chalk it up to health premiums.... then tackle obesity first, as I am sure here in North America that costs more on the system then smoking...

They were trying to ban smoking in your personal vehicle up here in Canada, well in one of the provinces. Didn't go through completely. But the outcome did come to be a good one though. In Nova Scotia I believe it is now illegal to smoke in a personal vehicle if there are persons younger than 18 in the car with you. Which is protecting children from stupid parents, and therefore good as we are not allowed to say stupid people should not be allowed to breed.