Front Valve Cover Gasket

mts

Originally posted by "penguin"

It is real easy to do. If all you are replacing is the front, it's not a big deal. The rear one is alot more time consuming (as you have to remove the fuel rail, IM, etc for access). Here is the info for replacing the front:

Tools:

Valve cover gasket

RTV sealant

gasket remover or screwdriver

10mm socket driver (I think)

1) disconnect the battery

2) remove the PCV valve (the thing going into the top of the valve cover

3) Unbolt the valve cover

When you take off the valve cover, use a screwdriver or gasket scraper to clean out the entire length of where the VCG was. It may take you an hour if you are really diligent (like me), but it's better than getting a leak. Test fit the new VCG to make sure it fits. Make sure you spend an equal amount of time cleaning off the the area where the VC was seated. After you do that, put a thin line of RTV in the groove on the VC where the new VCG will fit, near the outer edge on the bottom. The reason for this is that if you use too much RTV and you seal the VC down, the extra RTV will just fill the groove and not go into the oil. DO NOT PUT ALOT OF RTV ON. If you do, it may squeeze out when you tighten the bolts and then you could get RTV in your valve train or oil senders. Not good. But don't worry, this isn't a hard project at all. Once you have seated the new VCG on the VC, let it sit a minute then put the VC back on. Make sure you torque the bolts in a pattern similar to the way you do your tires (top left, bottom right, etc). Tighten them to pretty well, but don't force them. Check the edges to make sure NO parts of the VCG are bulging out. If it is, start over again. No need to buy another VCG if you have to start again as the new one will work fine. Once done, hook everything up and run the car. Drive for about 30 minutes and then stop and check for leaks. You should be all set now. Don't buy the VCG from the dealer, they will rip you. I got mine for $19 from www.thepartsbin.com. Here is the link. Free UPS shipping, too! You may also want to invest in some valve cover seal washers.. You will see where they need to go when you take the VC off. Mine were new, so I didn't replace them.