Starter

Synesthesia

ok here is the starter X... you said it depended on what starter it was so i decided to take pictures.

Warning: The pictures your about to see are of a starter that is EXTREMELY dirty

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Looks like some subsea equipment...

Sorry Goliat, I'm at my cell and unable to judge if the solenoid itself is possible to dismantle. Anyway I'd start with dismantling, cleaning and lubing up the moving parts. To verify function: put it under your shoe, earth it and jump it with start cables. If it kicks in 30 times on the floor without error is it worth a install.

****reply by yel-low*****

Ok buddy... this is what you do.

First clean up all the surface crap with some WD40 and a cloth... who wants to work with dirty parts to being with?

You solenoid is the smaller cylinder held on by the two blots at the end.

Starters fail in two ways... One the contacts burn out as mentioned above and secondly the solenoid gets gummed up and fails to retract. Motors RARELY burn out.

The way it works is that current is applied to the solenoid which in turn acts like an electromagnetic plunger. It pulls a lever back mechanically and engages the contacts for the starter motor as well as thrusting the gear onto the flexplate.

If the solenoid fails to retract.. nothing happens.

Once you have the solenoid in your hand work it back an fourth to see if its sticky. If it is then you most likely found your problem. Upright it and douse the whole thing with a good spray of WD40. Make sure to get it all the way in the casing. When you have sufficient solvent in the housing right side it and let all the solvent drain. Do this a few times until you no longer see and crud seeping out.

Work the plunger back and fourth until you feel that its nice and smooth. Once that is done set the solenoid to drip dry on a cloth over night. (plunger side down)

I can't remember if you can see the contacts or not but when you open it up it should be visible. Get yourself some acetone and scrub the hell out of the blackish looking contacts. Do this until they are shiny again. If the acetone isn't working well enough use some very light grade sandpaper and polish the contact.

After all that is done, button it back up and follow what Xedos just said.

You should be good to go from there.