Car Transport

enginph

I am moving to SoCal and I dont wanna drive for 2350 miles. And who knows what wear and tear will come to the milly.. I may deal with the hassle of selling this one and looking for another one there, but its not easy to sell and find a good milly. This one doesnt look bad tough:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...ler_id=57401337

So milly will be transported. I heard sometimes it takes a month and the transport companies are not so professional. Anybody has experience and recommendations? It would cost around $800-$1000, dammit!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

saint,

DO NOT sell your millenia and get another one, unless theres damage, this is a bad idea, this one you know more history and your use to it, there would be no reason to get one with probably higher mileage, and you not know the hisotry, or why someones selling, plus you could end up paying.

I personally wouldn't drive it, as for time, it depends on the transport, some cantake a month, those are the ones to avoid, they go around the country as they choose picking up and dropping off.

What you want is first off an enclosed transport, and it will cost about 800-900, what I would HIGHLY recommend doing is checking out ebay, go to auctions for dealers etc and see who they use, people buy cars all the time online and atleast half are shipped by companies ebay approves, usually taking a week or so at the most.

You can get on 1 of the big car carriers, but then it'll be exposed to elements, moved around alot when loading and unloading (maybe) but will only cost about 600.

otherwise, figure out what the cost to drive is, I've always wanted to drive across the country.

say 2400 miles, 90% highway to say 21mpg (don't be a jackass and say 28 or 25 or 809.7x3

115 gallons of gas @ roughly 3.45, around 400 dollars, sleep in the car, or drive 500-600 miles a day (8-10 hours of driving) 4.8 days, so 4 nights at a hotel at say 60-140 a night depending how cheap. That'll be your cost + an oil change, alinement would be good, etc.

You know what I saw the other day, a damaged 300C that was being towed with the front wheels on the truck and the back wheels rolling on the ground. You'd think the fools would know that a rear wheel drive automatic car will sustain transmission damage if towed this way. Apparently it pays to do one's own research.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I handed over the car today for transportation. The truck seem to be pretty roomy, i hope my milly will ride without a scratch.

I had a horrible vibration at around 55mph just before i gave it. One of the rear rims has ice stuck in it, so i assume that causes the vibration. I didnt dare to go beyond 55 it was so rough.. Hope i didnt deal with fixing it after i moved..

Imagine half a kilo of snow and ice in one side of the rim. And compare that to a 5 grammes unbalance which is easily detected in 60 mph. Then go figure.

My thinking is the same. It has nothing a day before. It snowed and it was 17F, nothing melts at that temp. I had ice inside the rear rim..