Car Transport

enginph

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It happends all the time here. Now we're expecting half a metre of snow as well as a storm during the afternoon, which comes on top of the 8 inches we've got since yesterday. Wheel balance will my least of concerns...

Bahahahaha, some people just do not have any idea the power of the ice and snow..... we have been -14C to -20C for the last 5 days... snow and ice. Now this weekend it is going up to +10C :wtf: Oh well time to clean the Millenia and change the rear brakes, while warm :shifty:

Exactly. Sometimes the temperature never goes above zero C for weeks on end.... and not all of are willing to risk the damage to a vehicle by parking it in a heated garage. IF YOU BRING A CAR inside that has been driven in the winter, IT HAS TO BE WASHED immediately or the salt will warm, and mixed with the melting snow attacks the metal immediately.

For a daily driver on salted roads, nope. Salt does not cause rust when temperature is below -4 degrees C.

It is however important to clean the car at least every three weeks to prevent the salt from getting too hard to remove.

I park the car in a cold garage, but use the block and coupe heater for comfort and vastly reduced wear.

Ice in the wheels has only happened to me twice (that resulted in vibration at least). Both times stopped at gas station, and dumped windshield washer fluid in the wheel. Quick one minute fix.

And unless you're driving with your brakes applies for 15 min., you will not generate enough heat to melt the ice.

For $1000 I would have come down and driven your car to Cali then flown back.

I am still not sure if it is the ice. Will see when i got the car back.

Total cost is $775. I might drive for 2500miles but just the gas cost would be $300 and if something happens on the road the repair cost would be doubled.. So i didnt take the risk and pay the company..

Ice in the wheels will mainly occur because loose snow is trapped in the wheel from driving in deep snow, or snow trapped there from wind, and then melted to ice during parking. Alloy wheels with big openings are more prone, but it is also an easier fix. Neat trick with the washer fluid :)

Two times only, you must have mild winters compared to me lol.

I think its much better you have it shipped, it'll be safer, and you have to figure actual cost, 2500 miles? so throw in an oil change for good measure.

Also, your gas cost would be more in the area of 400 dollars, and it's going to take you atleast a few days, so count hotel expenses, food, all of that stuff.

I would estimate total cost at around 900 dollars to drive, and thats on the very side with cheap hotels and not alot of food.