Great Cel Help Website

mts

The little gray box is only a diagnostic port usually used when adjusting timing or something. Ive never seen a code reader connected to that though.

I know that xedos can store codes. When my bro's car has abs/tcs problem mazda could read all the codes. Idk where they used though. You may wanna ask MO, who is the code reader expert :)

MTS wtf is this? There are tons of sites that gives just code description in one sentence without any diagnostic help..

Once you are above n00b they are not so helpful anymore, but we have new people all the time, and this site helps people understand the information us older jaded people talk about. Then they will further understand when we get deeper into troubleshooting actual CELs.

The little gray box is only a diagnostic port usually used when adjusting timing or something. Ive never seen a code reader connected to that though.

I know that xedos can store codes. When my bro's car has abs/tcs problem mazda could read all the codes. Idk where they used though. You may wanna ask MO, who is the code reader expert :)

There is no diagnostic port under my dash. However it is possible to read codes through the one under the hood. The question is will a code reader do it or do i have to visit a shop. Maybe I should pm MO. Does anyone have a pic of the OBD II connector? My connector is divided in two groups of pins. Or rather pin recievers...

Which OBD-II protocol is supported by my vehicle? IPB Image All cars and light trucks built for sale in the United States after 1996 are required to be OBD-II compliant. The European Union OBD legislation is somewhat more complicated. An OBD-II compliant vehicle can use any of the five communication protocols: J1850 PWM, J1850 VPW, ISO9141-2, ISO14230-4 (also known as Keyword Protocol 2000), US car manufacturers were not allowed to use CAN until model year 2003, and as of this writing (June 2005) ScanTool.net, LLC is working on a CAN-compatible interface. There are two types of diagnostic link connectors (DLCs) defined by SAE J1962 - Type A and Type B, shown in Figures 2 and 3, respectively. The main difference between the two connectors is in the shape of the alignment tab. Location - According to J1962, Type A DLC "shall be located in the passenger or driver's compartment in the area bounded by the driver's end of the instrument panel to 300 mm (~1 ft) beyond the vehicle centerline, attached to the instrument panel and easy to access from the driver's seat. The preferred location is between the steering column and the vehicle centerline."

IPB Image

Fig. 1 - J1962 Vehicle Connector, Type A

Type B DLC "shall be located in the passenger or driver's compartment in the area bounded by the driver's end of the instrument panel, including the outer side, and an imagined line 750 mm (~2.5 ft) beyond the vehicle centerline. It shall be attached to the instrument panel and easy to access from the driver's seat or from the Co-drivers seat or from the outside. The vehicle connector shall be mounted to facilitate mating and unmating."

Type B DLC "shall be located in the passenger or driver's compartment in the area bounded by the driver's end of the instrument panel, including the outer side, and an imagined line 750 mm (~2.5 ft) beyond the vehicle centerline. It shall be attached to the instrument panel and easy to access from the driver's seat or from the Co-drivers seat or from the outside. The vehicle connector shall be mounted to facilitate mating and unmating."

IPB Image

Fig. 2 - J1962 Vehicle Connector, Type B

As a general rule, you can determine which protocol your vehicle is using by looking at the pinout of the DLC:

IPB Image

Fig. 3

The following table explains how to determine the protocol:

Pin 2 Pin 6 Pin 7 Pin 10 Pin 14 Pin 15 Standard must have - - must have - -

J1850 PWM

must have Pin 2 & 10

J1850 VPW

must have Pin 2

ISO9141/14230 must have Pin 7 and may have pin 15

*Pin 15 (also called the "L-line") is optional in newer vehicles that use the ISO9141-2 or ISO14230-4 protocols.

In addition to pins 2, 7, 10, and 15, the connector should have pins 4 (Chassis Ground), 5 (Signal Ground), and 16 (Battery Positive). This means that:
PWM The connector must have pins 2, 4, 5, 10, and 16 VPW The connector must have pins 2, 4, 5, and 16, but not 10. ISO The connector must have pins 4, 5, 7, and 16. Pin 15 may or may not be present.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...