Bose System Wiring

///BHRpowered

Well I got the manuals today, including the wiring diagram.

I did not know there is an amp for the center speaker also

It does not clearly indicate which outputs from the head unit are front right & left, rear right & left, etc. So... if I intend to use the factory head unit to feed my new amp I still have some work to do.

Has anyone indentified the outputs from the Bose headunit already using a volt meter?

Here are the schematics. I am betting that the front and rear head unit outputs are 1N, 1M, 1L and 1K. Problem is 1J might be an output for a center channel. Gonna have to look at this a bit more and probably check voltage from the head unit for them using the fader, balance and volume.

response -

I'm not sure if this answers your question about the center amp and center speaker, but here is some history of what I have heard about the evolution of that speaker. I'm not sure if this historical account is completely accurate, but this is what I think occured:

The original Millenia designed and built in Japan had a head unit, with single amp, with a four speaker system.

The original design also had a hands-free cellular phone option. And that option used the small separate amp and center speaker for the sound, and a small microphone that mounted on the small center sun visor to speak into.

In that original Millenia design, that center speaker and amp had nothing whatsoever to do with the stereo system. It was a dedicated speaker and amp that was only used for the hands-free cellular phone. It did not play music from the stereo, only sound from the cellular phone option.

When the Millenia was introduced to the rest of the world, they eliminated the hands free cellular phone option (due to cost cutting issues at Mazda). So, they simply spliced that amp and center speaker into the existing wiring of the main stereo headunit.

Also, the cost to develop the dashboard in the Millenia was extremely expensive. It was probably the most expensive dashboard design in the history of Mazda, and used leather craftsman with hand made molds that was then programmed into computers and robots. And it already was designed around that center speaker. So they had to find something to do with the center speaker once the decision was made to eliminated the hands free cellular phone option. Because the cost to redesign the dashboard, molds, assembly robots, computer programs, etc. to eliminate the center speaker would have also been expensive.

So the cheapest option was to simply splice it into the existing stereo and leave it on the dashboard.

• 11 months later...

There are 8 outputs from the head unit that i count so they should account for the 8 wires; 4 - 2 positive and 2 negative for the front channel and 4 more - 2 positive and 2 negative for the rear channel. 1J which is probably for the remote turn on. So what about 1K, 1L, 1M, 1N? Now I just need to identify which are for the front and rear.

I also found the wiring diagram. It is pdf. PM me with your e-mail if you want it.

Anyone know which is which?

My AMP has a built-in high channel converter but i want to connect it BEFORE the Bose amp.

Well I got the manuals today, including the wiring diagram.

I did not know there is an amp for the center speaker also

It does not clearly indicate which outputs from the head unit are front right & left, rear right & left, etc. So... if I intend to use the factory head unit to feed my new amp I still have some work to do.

Has anyone indentified the outputs from the Bose headunit already using a volt meter?

Here are the schematics. I am betting that the front and rear head unit outputs are 1N, 1M, 1L and 1K. Problem is 1J might be an output for a center channel. Gonna have to look at this a bit more and probably check voltage from the head unit for them using the fader, balance and volume.

response -

I'm not sure if this answers your question about the center amp and center speaker, but here is some history of what I have heard about the evolution of that speaker. I'm not sure if this historical account is completely accurate, but this is what I think occured:

The original Millenia designed and built in Japan had a head unit, with single amp, with a four speaker system.

The original design also had a hands-free cellular phone option. And that option used the small separate amp and center speaker for the sound, and a small microphone that mounted on the small center sun visor to speak into.

In that original Millenia design, that center speaker and amp had nothing whatsoever to do with the stereo system. It was a dedicated speaker and amp that was only used for the hands-free cellular phone. It did not play music from the stereo, only sound from the cellular phone option.

When the Millenia was introduced to the rest of the world, they eliminated the hands free cellular phone option (due to cost cutting issues at Mazda). So, they simply spliced that amp and center speaker into the existing wiring of the main stereo headunit.

Also, the cost to develop the dashboard in the Millenia was extremely expensive. It was probably the most expensive dashboard design in the history of Mazda, and used leather craftsman with hand made molds that was then programmed into computers and robots. And it already was designed around that center speaker. So they had to find something to do with the center speaker once the decision was made to eliminated the hands free cellular phone option. Because the cost to redesign the dashboard, molds, assembly robots, computer programs, etc. to eliminate the center speaker would have also been expensive.

So the cheapest option was to simply splice it into the existing stereo and leave it on the dashboard.

Bhr please help me out and send me one ill really appreciate it :thumbup1:

There are 8 outputs from the head unit that i count so they should account for the 8 wires; 4 - 2 positive and 2 negative for the front channel and 4 more - 2 positive and 2 negative for the rear channel. 1J which is probably for the remote turn on. So what about 1K, 1L, 1M, 1N? Now I just need to identify which are for the front and rear.

I also found the wiring diagram. It is pdf.

Anyone know which is which?

My AMP has a built-in high channel converter but i want to connect it BEFORE the Bose amp.

[attachmentid=540]

So what about 1J, 1K, 1L, 1M, & 1N?

1J = LT GRN/RED

1K = YEL (OR LT GRN)

1L = ORG (OR LT GRN/BLK)

1M = RED (OR YEL/RED)

1N = WHT (YEL/BLK)

The "( )" color is what plugs into the amp. The other is coming out the radio.

Anyone?

millenia_bose_wiring.pdf

damn it, I'm trying to find a handdrawn chart I made when I was installing my headunit, I thought I put it with my old stock unit but now I can't find it

The only real things you should need for an aftermarket amp are the speaker out wires, for any other headunit you buy a wiring harnass that plugs in and will have its own wires labeled

OK

I ran some tests and here is what I discovered.

There are 9 outputs from the head unit (WITHOUT A CD changer in the trunk); - 2 positive and 2 negative for the front channel and 4 more - 2 positive and 2 negative for the rear channel and 1 which is for the remote turn on.

[attachmentid=540]

So what about 2A, 2B, 2F, 2H, 1J, 1K, 1L, 1M, & 1N? The "( )" color is what plugs into the amp. The other is coming out the HU (radio).

2A = BLK (OR BLU) ~Rear LEFT channel with same polarity as 2F +4V

2B = RED (OR GRN) ~Rear LEFT channel with same polarity as 2H +4V

2F = WHT (OR GRN/ORG) ~Rear RIGHT channel with same polarity as 2A +4V

2H = GRN (OR GRN/BLK) ~Rear RIGHT channel with same polarity as 2B +4V

1K = YEL (OR LT GRN) ~Front LEFT channel with same polarity as 1M +4V

1L = ORG (OR LT GRN/BLK) ~Front LEFT channel with same polarity as 1N +4V

1M = RED (OR YEL/RED) ~Front RIGHT channel with same polarity as 1K +4V

1N = WHT (YEL/BLK) ~Front RIGHT channel with same polarity as 1L +4V

1J = LT GRN/RED ~Remote turn on +12V

U = RED/WHT ~Constant power +12V

2A, 2F, 1K, & 1M ARE THE SAME POLARITY

2B, 2H, 1L, & 1N ARE THE SAME POLARITY

The voltage given is the with the negative grounded to the car, and the harness UNPLUGGED from the BOSE amp.

I could not figure out which is positive or negative. Fading the radio to the rear (channel 2) or front (channel 1) makes the other channel (1 or 2) not put out speaker sound (but still has voltage); the same happens with the balance.

How to determine which is positive or negative, I do not know. But it is not important, because one can ALWAYS just switch positive and negative on the speaker.

So what does ALL this mean? It means I can hook up my AMP to 2A, 2B, 2F, & 2H and make my milly go ZOOM ZOOM and BOOM BOOM. :drool: