Gauge / Cluster Removal / Led Gauges

///BHRpowered

This is probably pretty easy but figured I would make a thread. So far as I know I was one of the first to do this. I believe Mazdaworld meet 2005?

Cost - ~15 dollars

Time - 20-30 mins

Parts required

flat blade screwdriver

philips head

pillars

3 194 5-led matrix bulbs

1 #74 led bulb

Led's may be found on www.superlumination.com

I run white, but you can choose any color. Red/blue/yellow/green/white etc

Gauge removal instructions

Pop off the dimmer switch and matching plate on opposite side using a flat blade screw driver

Disconnect Dimmer and remove screw behind each plate. I STRONGLY recommend a magnetic bit.

Run flatblade along trim panel to remove. It should take some work. You'll be removing the whole piece from the security light to temp panel. Make sure once you pull out the side with the security light that you disconnect that as well. It has very little extra wiring to spare.

Once removed move out of way and you should be able to access 4 screws holding in the cluster.

Remove with MAGNETIC BIT

Pull cluster straight out and flip over, disconnect wiring.

Take pillars and locate the main illumination bulbs (ill try to find a pic) they'll be the bigger ones and probably a different color but this varies year to year

[attachmentid=1149]

Main illumination will take 3 and the #74 lights both fuel and engine temp. Simply twist in the direction of least resistance and they'll come out (varies year to year, 95-98 can be done by hand) Pull out old bulbs and insert LED's. Pic when done with 1st gen LED's circa 2005

[attachmentid=1150]

Blue LED's

[attachmentid=1151]

***You have a 50/50 shot of the led's working the first time around. Reconnect gauge cluster and in darkness or under a towel turn on gauges. It will be very clear if some don't light up. Any that do not work simply re-remove and flip 90 degrees (LED's not bases)

3rd generation LED's circa late 2009

[attachmentid=1152] [attachmentid=1153]

recheck, if all is well your good to go. Lighting it greatly increased with a much cleaner look.

Hard to capture true color, but this is with everything reinstalled including MCE gauges.

[attachmentid=1154]

***Note, The redline that seems a bit orange is not a result of the leds, the MCE tach I got came from a much older model and is slightly faded even in daylight.

**BONUS**

While you have everything out you can add in a 194 forward facing highpowered LED bulb from superlumination.com as well. Its about 6 dollars for a slightly different look. If you run red like I did you get a much sharper, darker blink.

**Tips and tricks**

A super quick way of checking your LED's is by testing in the truck compartment, bulb with easy access for quick tests.

Also, those same 194 LED's can be used in the trunk, doors, license plate lights etc.

SSPX0031.JPG

guage2.jpg

gauge2.JPG

mcegauges.JPG

MCEnight.jpg

PRE_2010_03_07_205602.jpg