The Scion Tc

MazdaMomma

Then how come manuals in newer cars warn against regular jumper cables? Believe me, this has happened to many owners here, they assist others and can't start their own car afterwards due to fried ECU and whatever. Sparks DOES cause high frequency voltage peaks. Why do you think these sparks disturb all kinds of radio equipment including TV's?

Then how come manuals in newer cars warn against regular jumper cables? Believe me, this has happened to many owners here, they assist others and can't start their own car afterwards due to fried ECU and whatever. Sparks DOES cause high frequency voltage peaks. Why do you think these sparks disturb all kinds of radio equipment including TV's?

What do they recommend? A little resistance from the jumper cable would be good, thats why i use chasis as the ground to get some resistance. You cannot pass the max voltage in the system by "properly" connecting cables. If you connect wrong you can only go upto the sum of two voltages. That spark is a voltage step that has high frequency component for sure, and very high current, but not high voltage. Longer cables will have larger inductance and cause weaker sparks. That high frequency current generates an electromagnetic field that interferes with other receivers around like tv, radio and such. Delicate electronic components have fermi cages around them shielding from electromagnetic fields. Any integrated circuit has ESD (electrostatic discharge) protection circuitry for most input/output pins. Have you ever seen sparks from yourself? When taking off a woolen pullover? You charge yourself with say 1000V above your cars ground, when you touch a metal in the car you will see the spark and you will step up the voltage. If ICs dont have ESD they will be fried before leaving the fab, let away during regular use.

High current will also convert water to hydrogen and oxygen inside the battery. If it has a leak and most very old batteries have, the whole car can be fried :)

Only ways to fry ECU are if one car has a bad regulator or two cars have different voltages or improper jump start. When i give jump start to an old car i dont start my car since i dont trust its regulator.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...