Windshield Scratches

enginph

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

despite what 97milly will tell you, glass can be buffed, but its hella hard work and requires special grits.

I make it a point to never turn on the wipers unless needed, and even if its pouring the very first time I use the windshield washer to get more fluid, these god damn idiots who keep there wipers on for a few drops, running across dry glass, thats what causes it and they deserve it.

I turn my wipers on full maybe twice a year, maybe, half delay works fine.

I personally, despite what others may say, clay bar my windshield, then polish and wax it, the water will bead so it can build up but won't spread out and abstrct version, and frankly, at 65mph + and decent wax the water will just run off and you won't even need the wipers.

once this is done get a new set to, clean fresh wipers running across a fully clean wax surface clears the water much better when needed, and anything that does come onto the windshield will be easily removed instead of the wipers scaping it off.

so yeah, claybar, polish, wax, beyond that not much you cna do but prevent more. oh btw, polishing and waxing a windshield is a pain, check inside and outside to make sure you get it all.

Your best bet is to do what Xedos suggested. Buffing glass is a pain in the hole, and hardly ever helps the situation. Anything deeper than the tiniest scrape and nothing will help. Not to mention it's messy as hell. You have to buff glass under a constant stream of water to prevent the glass from overheating and cracking. A new windshield is $250 installed, which is nothing if you change it once every 100k kms. And like BHR said, don't turn the wipers on full tilt just because there's some mist outside. And shit like rainX does help, water just beads off the glass and at higher speeds gets pulled back by the wind resistance making wipers somewhat obsolete.

I will never use any rainX product, ever.

I bought a set of there wipers once, horrible, I bought that never fog stuff, yeah it worked great its always cloudy so you can't tell when it fogs.

You would be amazed what the difference on a well waxed windshield is, at MWM07 even in that hurricane of a downpour where people where pulling off theroad, I didn't have my wipers on full.

I see idiots going down the road with wipers not only on full, but on high for a mist. And what I really hate is people who let salt spray build up on there windshield, then turn on the wiuper for fun, stop at a damn gas station and clean it

• 2 weeks later...

For rainx or other stuff you mix in the washer fluid, it cleans in every windshield wash. So if you dont keep the car clean and waxed all the time rainx may worth. Other than that if its waxed, its almost the same. However there is the aquapel stuff which I believe is better than rainx and wax (lasts shorter)

http://www.jwardell.com/mini/2006/04/11/rain-x-vs-aquapel/

I was looking for it but at that time it was available only online so i bought something which you mix in the washer fluid.

As a side note zaino has a glass polish.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...