Hmm, Brake Issue Jf Can't Place

Synesthesia

Ok, I know most people are posting pictures, but this is also a "general" tech section, tonight I started having a problem that the JF guys can't place.

Now, I drove from someplace in the city, back home (about 26 miles total, in mild traffic) now about mile 18 or so I noticed a burning smell, and thought, whatever guy in front of me must have his parking brake on. so I go and then its clear, and when I come to a stop I'm still smelling it, so I check mine again, not on, but its a strong smell, and after stopping a few times I figure out its my, then I get there, and it gets maybe a 5 min rest just parked while I grab something, go back out again, mild traffic, but alot of red lights, now when I came to the last 2 red lights I could phyically see smoke coming from the drivers side front wheel weel, not thick, but noticable. it smelled like burning rubber or so, temp gauge was fine and I was almost there, so I drove the last 1/4th mile, still smoking whil at lights and stuff, I get out and everything looks fine, except theres some steam, Car handles fine, braking is fine, no pulling to either side, no reduced braking. The entire time I had not done any hard driving either....ideas?

nope, nothing at all. and I drove it from my house to this place, no problems at all. it smelled exaclty like someone left a parking brake on, but when I stopped those last 2 times you could see visable smoke (a fair amount, but not thick) coming out of the wheel weel. I figured maybe some dirt or something got in there but then when it did it for so long...

Could you hear anything? After you turned the stereo down... :shifty:

Is it possible you picked up a bag or something that wrwpped around the front drive axle?

You exhaust runs down that side does it not?

yup, infact that is what has me stumped. if you remember last july I had the other side seize up and replaced both front calipers and all pads, fron pads and calipers probably only have 5k on them. The only other time I got something sorta like this was when I first installed them and I hadn't manged to clean ALL the brake fluid off from when I bleed them...

doubtful, its been probably over a month, and I haven't had this problem, plus I do mostly mudding, no rock crawling or anything.

hasn't done it the rest of this week either, I have to assume that if it was touching even slightly there would be slight pulling, and the steering on that car is LIGHT, but nothing

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

well son of a brake, it happened again today, granted I was doing alot of stop and go braking, but it was low speed, and it ONLY happens on the drivers side. Today it got bad enough to pad was overheating and was only braking maybe 50% as strong. I pulled over, the pad is clearing the rotor, no vibration or anything, rotors pads, and the calipers themselfs are less then a year old with maybe 8k on them

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...