Rust Question

Renboy

So after a 13 hour battle changing both lower control arms on the wifes car I have a question. Although her car put up a valliant fight (I split both my lips open and almost lost two teeth--not joking) I did come out victorious in the end. But the reason for the cars persistance was rust, an element I'd very much like to remove from further battles with cars. Now I know phosphoric acid is quite good at removing rust and am considering this route, but I wanted to know the experiences of others (with phosphoric acid). What concentration did you use, where did you get it, and how long did you leave it on for? I've found that I can get it on ebay for reasonably cheap, and it 81% concentrated. I assume that's strong enough. I'm also going to look for hydroponics shops to see if I can buy it locally instead of having it hand delivered by the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) with 2000 questions as to why I'm buying this shit. No, I'm not a terrorist. Furthermore, I went to change the wife's brakes, and sure enough, both wheel cylinders and both calipers have the bleeder screws seized...more accurately one of the calipers has only half of the bleeder screw seized :angry:. Since I'm going to replace them, I thought an acid soak to see if they'll release would be in order. Thoughts?

I swear I saw something in my local autoparts store once that removed rust on contact, I want to say liquid wrench but thats not it, its in a wd-40 spray style aerosal bottle under pressure, removes light rust instantly and thicker rust you can just sort of brush off.

Whenever I do clean something up though I always try to paint it so it doesn't rut if possible, a can of flat black and some silver engine primer work great.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a hell of a time with rust when we bought the 96 I30 for my mom. The brakes were hell, I always tend to turn to a torch and heat up galded parts to a low cherry red then bust them loose. A low cost propane torch has very good control as heating on steel is pretty slow. I've never had much luck with liquid rust breakers.

• 3 weeks later...