The Miller-cycle Is Back!

adz89

I was reading through GoAutoMag e-news, an online magazine publication which I read reguarly.

Now I was reading over the news in this weeks edition and stumble across this:

NEW MILL FOR MAZDA2

MAZDA has developed a naturally aspirated

1.3-litre “Miller-cycle” engine for its

forthcoming new-generation Mazda2, which is

due for release here in October.

Not seen in Mazda’s Australian line-up since

the slow-selling Millenia was discontinued in

2002, the Miller-cycle in the Mazda2 combines

with the Japanese brand’s first continuously

variable transmission and is claimed to enable

fuel economy of less than 5L/100km. Part

of the MZR engine family, the new DOHC

aluminium 1.3 features sequential valve timing

and meets Japan’s Super Ultra-Low Emissions

Vehicle (SU-LEV) standard.

Then there was something about a recall for the current Mazda2, so I left that out :)

Of course when I read this I was prompted to do a google search to find some more information on the new Miller. I also think the 5l/100km fuel consumption figure may be accurate, as from what I have read the new Mazda2 has shed up to 100kgs from the outgoing model, and as I take it they would have probably improved on the basis of the last MillerCycle engine and the fact it is combined with a CVT. And yes, 5l/100km is extremely efficient, in comparison a Toyota Prius obtains 4.7l/100km.

Now lets hope you guys in the US get the new Mazda 2.

And from the array of information I found on google about the new Miller I beleive that it is true! :)

At this stage I can't find anything in regards to the new 1.3 MCE power output, so yeah if you find a power output figure post it here.

Here is some websites with some more information:

World Car Fans

Autospies

As an update, I just read on another website that economy is 4.3l/100km, which is ridiculously low! Which is something like 23km per litre!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have read it obtains 54MPG.

"Mazda's new 2 subcompact will get its power courtesy a Miller-cycle engine, when it goes on sale in Japan in July.

The Miller-cycle engine has shown up before in Mazda's Millenia sedan. In this application, it's a 1.3-liter powerplant combined with a continuously variable transmission to reduce fuel consumption by 20 percent. It could reach the equivalent of 54 mpg in the Japanese cycle, according to figures issued by Mazda. Emissions will be 75 percent below 2005 levels, Mazda adds.

Miller-cycle engines delay the closing of their intake valves, to reduce pumping losses and improve thermal efficiency. They're also typically used in tandem with a supercharger - a performance enhancement Mazda does not mention in their release."

Taken from: http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Re...180.A12414.html

In comparison a Toyota Aygo (which is smaller then a Mazda 2) and has a 1.0Litre engine uses :

Petrol / AYGO 3 & 5-door 1.0 VVT-i 5-speed Man & M/M

* Urban: 56.5 mpg or 5.0 l/100 km

* Extra-urban 68.9 mpg or 4.1 l/100 km

* Combined: 61.4 mpg or 4.6 l/100 km

* CO2 emissions: 109 g/km

Using this data, the Mazda2 1.3MillerCycle uses less fuel then a Toyota Aygo which is a smaller car with a 1.0litre engine. (4.6l vs. 4.3l on a combined cycle).

I couldn't find the Yaris fuel consumption. So if anyone finds it post it here.

It appears that unorthodox configurations are coming into fashion again. Most notable right now is a Volkswagen Golf powered by a 1.4 litre four cylinder featuring both a supercharger and a turbocharger for low and high rpm performance respectively. It is said to work well.