Long Time No See Or How My Xedos Is About To Die?

cuto

I need to have my cam seals, crank seal, and vcg done, but apparently the labour charges are equivalent to carving mt rushmore again... like $1800 labour alone. So while they're in there i'm going to have them replace the SC since it will be exposed and it doesn't make sense to spend $2000 in labour 2-3 years down the line when it starts smoking bad. Mine has been pushing oil into the IC for a few years now.

i know my millenia is only worth $500 or so and has clearly seen much better days but I will never give it up unless the car is completely bent in 2 around a tree. its in "ok" shape and there's nothing really else wrong with it aside from slinging oil everywhere due to the crank seal. sure i have a few suspension creaks and need to redo the arm boots, most say that it doesn't make sense to put money into a car that isn't worth anything, but really, why does that matter unless you plan to sell or trade it? I would rather spend that money than have to deal with a car payment every month.

I should ask them how much extra it would be to just do a valve job since they'd have all that shit torn apart.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First - its worth alot more then 500, 2nd take out the s/c and have it rebuilt instead. cam seals might be a bit hard but I'm sure you could do it yourself.

1 thing I would add is have every single vacuum line replaced with high grade silicone. My fall project is to do that so they last for decades

If you have a lot of time to deal with an aging car, sure. I am at a point that I cant afford to have a possible functionality problem with my car.

I couldnt pass smog and couldnt register the car. Now I am trying to keep my driving at a minimum, I cant go wherever I want anymore. If I can pass I will look for another (nicer) car, already looking, and keep milly as a daily driver till it dies.

On the other hand, it may still make sense to fix all those and continue to drive. One better option would be to get a cheaper to maintain old car like a civic but then it is a boring civic.

Just to make you a little happy, I found this article in the weekend.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca...arcosts09m.html

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, its been a while. The Milly S ME is gone...

Towards the end the Millenia would smoke on start up and when I would floor it. Decided to just run it till it dies and one night the engine just gave in and died at 80mph on the highway.

Sold it to a junkyard for $600.

Bought a 12' MazdaSpeed3 in white and am extremely happy with it. 1500 miles on it and Im already modding it and learning how to tune it.

Some misconceptions:

1. When the s/c fails, it burns oil all the time, not just on start-up

2. The reason the puff comes after the car has sat is because the oily mist that's in the piping pools, then those pools get blown into the cylinders.

Lat, $1800 is rape. If the worst offender is the crank seal, then spend a couple hours and replace it.

• 2 weeks later...

First - its worth alot more then 500, 2nd take out the s/c and have it rebuilt instead. cam seals might be a bit hard but I'm sure you could do it yourself.

1 thing I would add is have every single vacuum line replaced with high grade silicone. My fall project is to do that so they last for decades

BHR no its not... you saw the rear end damage it took

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sad but true: car is now dead. It was burning bout 2 litres of oil each 1000 kms. Cat just blew on me. RIP. Its Ford Ecoboost time.

Sorry to hear, cuto. If you should choose to part her out, I also seem to need a new AC control unit. I can't adjust the cabin temperature with the wheel knob unless it is colder than -15C outside. Slight disadvantage, though 21,5 C works reasonably well throughout the year. I also need to replace the powered antenna.