Mazda's W12, The Amati, And How Audi Fits In

///BHRpowered

Ok, as some will remember I had been trying to track down alot of info on the "Amati 1000" Now, today I received a packet of info from mazda, as well as doing some more research I have come across some things interesting, some extremely odd things

I'll start with the odd, apparently mazda does NOT own the patent for the rotary engine. Apparently the autounion seen here

[attachmentid=200]

was made up of Horch, NSU, DKW, and Wanderer. Audi bought NSU in 1969 after the Ro80 hoovered up all their money. They original developed it all together, now I highly highly doubt mazda is paying royalities, but none hte less interesting

Next we shall discuss the Mazda 12 cyl engine, and what an amazing peice of work. Sadly my efforts to track down a working prototype have not yielded 1, BUT, according to what I received todaysame 500 for built for testing and reliabilty studies, The engine itself pictured here,

[attachmentid=201]

Mazda's 3981cc 12-cylinder engine in W configuration; having 3 banks of 4 cylinder (much like VW's W12). This engine was shown at the 1989 Tokyo motor and was intended for Mazda's Amati luxury brand that never materilized.

The engine was limited to 280hp and 274lb-ft of torque because of the Japan's gentleman's agreement, but keeping in tradition of Mazda's unique engine design history (rotary, miller cycle, etc) they decided to go with the W-configuration for their 12 cylinder. While the block is aluminum, the rest of the engine is mostly magnesium, and most interesting was that the cylinder was ceramic, and valves aluminum-Ceramic. Very ground breaking for the time.

Now from here the path splits. First is ford, because they have a large STAKE!!!! BUT DO NOT OWN THE COMPANY!!! there have been talks within mazda that the W12 built by mazda was going to end up in some 07 and 08 models of there higher end cars, including the ASTON MARTIN!!!! apparently executives at ford were impressed with the engine not only for its performance once the 280-hp limitor was removed (See gentlemans agreement), but the engine being so compact and lightweight was a great advantage. Currently there are no plans due to the price of oil

Now here's where I can't decide if I'm pissed off or not, because of this history with audi the w12 didn't quite die, instead it was revamped, redesigned, and more or less reinvented, but with mazdas thinking behind itfor a concept car known as the audi avus. It you look in the back corner of the wall you can see the design of the engine. Now apparently there were rumors that VW slapped together 2 v6's to compete with mazda which had designed a totally new engine.

[attachmentid=202]

I believe this design was scrapped for being to complex and too heavy, with the three separate heads and all related hardware..(had mazda done it who knows)

That being said- this W 12 seems more like an overly complex engine made specifically just for bragging rights- for advertising purposes to get people's attention- that because it was the best engine for that type of vehicle. Considering that in the late 80s Mazda had some very solid inline four bangers that could take boost, all they had to do was use that design with two banks of cylinder. The OHC 12 valve 2.2 engines easily made 190lb-ft of torque in stock tune (and more horsepower than advertised). A 300hp/350lb-ft 4.4 turbo V8 based on that design should have been more than enough smooth power for a luxury sedan of the time. Crap, that's even good numbers for a sedan today.

Now granted I feel a modern designed miller-cycle engine pushing 3.5 L and the same S/C would be 330-350hp in v6 form, however again, this was the late 80's

I have saved the best for last. These were the only photo's I could track down, they are rough drawings and concepts, but you can see the millenia in there all. The top 2 phots are of the amarti 1000 and I'm told that the bottom is the amati pegasus, which became the amati 550, which became the millenia, I'm told that this concept drawing was done in 1986

autounion.jpg

enginediagramtrans2bm.jpg

avus009.jpg

mry_sedan_illust.jpg

mry_coupe_illust.jpg

mry_sedan_clay2.jpg

actually it looks ALOT like the mazda6...almost 20 years later and it still gives thrills, timeless design indeed.

I'm still trying to track down an amati 1000 prototype, they didn't really give me any info on it, I'm told 10-20 full functioning, painted, and equipt 1000's were built, including about 100 929's that had been made longer and wider to fit the W12 engine.

I'm sure several exist in various mazda offices

I had never heard of it until just recently, I do know that "iirc adui" is something eles known as NSU today"

btw, when the idea was first put forth 929's were made 5" longer and 2" wider to do road tests of the power plant around europe, people claim that the 12 cyl engine had a stunning exhaust note and has been compared to that of a ferrari f50 several car lenghts back when the mazda v12 was doing 4,000rpms. It did however only have a 6500rpm rev limitor(As still seen on many mazda's today)

I believe the program as a whole was deemed "Amati MRY" Marketing research something something.

It should also be noted there was to be a COUPE version of either the Millenia or the 1000 (never released which one) however once hte plans for amati were canned the car became the Mazda lantis, which then became the 323...after it was made taller, and shorter, and overall smaller and a new much smaller engine was designed for the car to make it economical