#1 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

meow baby... >^,,^<

• Supporters
  • 64,860 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:50 PM

Don't want bluetooth

Don't need any extras.

Just want a simple gps system with a nice sized screen.

Oh yeah, must be portable so I can take it in any car I happen to be driving.

If problems are perceived by men, and men inevitably die, then there is no such thing as a problem. ~ Troutman

#2 Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne

Hyper-alloy Member

• Supporters
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:20 AM

Someone I know has bought a Hitachi with the biggest screen in its class. However it does have extras such as an input for a rear view camera. It attaches to the windscreen with a suction device.

The main thing to focus on is quality I think, some of the cheapest units may be questionable.
"It's not a man, it's a machine. A terminator. Cyberdyne Systems model 101. ...The terminator's an infiltration unit, part man, part machine. Underneath it's a hyper-alloy combat chassis, microprocessor controlled, fully armoured, very tough. But outside it's living human tissue - flesh, skin, hair, blood."

WE DEMAND THE TROUT TO RETURN AND ALL THAT DO , ADD THIS IN YOUR SIG!

#3 Xedosman

Xedosman

Towing member

• Supporters
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:42 AM

Mio Digiwalker C250, well regarded here in the lower price range. If you'll be satisfied with 3,5 inches whistling.gif
The engineers hoped to modify the boot lid in order to minimize wind resistance.The easiest method involved attaching
a rear spoiler, though that would detract from the vehicle's lines.
Alternatively, the lip of the lid could be enlarged, though that would require significant more work. Naturally, the team chose the second approach, and set to work in a wind tunnel lab in Miyoshi. A while later, they emerged with the hoped-for design, which was both aerodynamic and aesthetically pleasing...

2000 Xedos 9 2,5. Stock features: push-a-button retract mirrors, 1500 kg towing capasity, tranny cooler, rear swaybar, pollen filter, roof rack mounts.

Ported heads, knifeedged IM, dropin K&N with wheelwell airduct.

IPB Image

#4 ///BHRpowered

///BHRpowered

Renegade Super Villain

• Forefathers
  • 92,125 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:51 AM

garmin is pretty goodand easy to use, plus compact.

Although recently I have given though to doing a gps retrofit in the millenia, find a double din navigation display from an oem system would be cheapest, although aftermarket is possible
Mazdaworld Federation - General/"Underboss"

2000 Millenia S...It's a car with stuff in it
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee...4.7, Limited, Quadra-Drive, Loaded.
2005 Audi S4...V8, 6spd, miltek
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee...5.7 Hemi, Overland, '14 LED headlights coming soon
2005 ZX-6rr...Muzzy, power commander 3, bixenons
1987 GPZ500...Vance Hines, full led, bixenons
2013 Lamborghini LP560-4 Spyder...possible twin turbo?
"You have entered, BHR's world. Proceed at your own risk" - MCfrank/zaocaddy
"BHR is more correct than you could imagine." - Troutman
"I guess we all proved BHR right.....again....." - Frankzao
QUOTE(SKI @ Apr 27 2006, 01:26 AM) View Post

First of all, we are smart enough to know that BHR doesn't really exist, he is an illusion in all our minds....

"The perfect weapon for terrorising Veyrons!"

#5 Saint

Saint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:39 PM

If you donot really need it, wait for some time, there will be a drop in the price.. The chipset is all the same, there are two map providers, should be very similar. doesnt matter which brand you buy, just look at the screen size and brightness.. Dont worry about little extra things..
2001 Mazda Millenia S, Brilliant Black, 140k miles
QUOTE(Xedosman @ Apr 4 2009, 01:38 PM) View Post
I wouldn't want to discuss car design with females and people with rear spoilers unless the spoiler is stock.

QUOTE(///BHRpowered @ Jul 20 2011, 04:07 PM) View Post
I like my idea.

#6 ///BHRpowered

///BHRpowered

Renegade Super Villain

• Forefathers
  • 92,125 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:18 PM

a basic garmin should be fine, nice and compact, large screen, its own built in speaker and can be run on batteries

First of all, we are smart enough to know that BHR doesn't really exist, he is an illusion in all our minds....

#7 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

meow baby... >^,,^<

• Supporters
  • 64,860 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:18 PM

good, cause it must be portable.

got a model number?
If problems are perceived by men, and men inevitably die, then there is no such thing as a problem. ~ Troutman

#8 Saint

Saint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:46 PM

My friend just got a Tom tom one and we did a test drive tonight. It has 3.5inch screen. I figure out that extras are shit. It should just have a large screen (you have to take your eyes off the road to see what is on that small screen), and voice commands. It is really hard to see and understand the map during driving esp. if you dont know where you are. It also zooms in when you have to make a turn. Even tough, not easy to grasp the map during driving. So i would buy the one with voice commands and maybe the largest screen (or smallest since i prolly wouldnt look at it) and cheapest.. Another thing is that you can snap it on the windshield, a lower position would be useless IMO, like stock ones..

QUOTE(MazdaCaddi @ Jun 13 2007, 09:18 PM) View Post

good, cause it must be portable.

got a model number?

2001 Mazda Millenia S, Brilliant Black, 140k miles
QUOTE(Xedosman @ Apr 4 2009, 01:38 PM) View Post
I wouldn't want to discuss car design with females and people with rear spoilers unless the spoiler is stock.

QUOTE(///BHRpowered @ Jul 20 2011, 04:07 PM) View Post
I like my idea.

#9 Kat_Daddy

Kat_Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:59 PM

You should check out the Trimble brand. I dont know how well their car products are. But my pops has them in his tractors (alot of companies offer them as an option), they come with a 9-10" touchscreen it looks like. You initiate a turn and it kicks in (interfaces with the electronic steering) and finishes the 180 turn and aligns you perfectly into the next row. It keeps your rows perfectly straight through the fields. Their systems help make farmers good money by cramming as much into the field as possible. keep in mind there are no charted roads or intersections that it can use to cheat. The system has to find you wherever, i bet they can easily handle highway driving... just my 2 cents....

#10 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

meow baby... >^,,^<

• Supporters
  • 64,860 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:49 AM

hmm.gif

That is an idea....

Wonder where I could find those?

#11 Kat_Daddy

Kat_Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:51 AM

i did a quick search and it looks as if they have sysems for cars as well. i would check out their features and see if its sumn u like before i look at any other brand out there.

#12 ///BHRpowered

///BHRpowered

Renegade Super Villain

• Forefathers
  • 92,125 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:53 AM

I'v actually seen those systems on larger tractors, its suppose to be so that you do a perfect row at perfect dimensions of something.

But the question is do you want a large screen, or just voice guidance and a smaller screen

#13 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

meow baby... >^,,^<

• Supporters
  • 64,860 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE(Kat_Daddy @ Jun 15 2007, 09:51 AM) View Post
i did a quick search and it looks as if they have sysems for cars as well. i would check out their features and see if its sumn u like before i look at any other brand out there.

Kat Daddy would you provide me a link to the car products please? I cannot seem to find what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

#14 Kat_Daddy

Kat_Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(///BHRpowered @ Jun 15 2007, 02:53 PM) View Post

I'v actually seen those systems on larger tractors, its suppose to be so that you do a perfect row at perfect dimensions of something.

my pops is a farmer, straighter rows allow u to cram more in the field with no excess space on the ends. Also alllows you to spray and cut weeds easier without running over the product you just planted...

QUOTE(MazdaCaddi @ Jun 16 2007, 01:21 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Kat_Daddy @ Jun 15 2007, 09:51 AM) View Post

Kat Daddy would you provide me a link to the car products please? I cannot seem to find what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

I saw a few components with a froogle search heres the home site try there. Once agian i cant vouch for their car products but their professional grade shit is pretty good, that may also add to $$$ They even have military use shit...

http://www.trimble.c..._portable.shtml

http://www.trimble.c...invehicle.shtml

#15 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

meow baby... >^,,^<

• Supporters
  • 64,860 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:11 AM

The closest one is in Dayton, OH

#16 Troutman

Troutman

--------------------

• Staff
  • 38,840 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:26 PM

IPB Image

Hitachi does a model with a 5" screen.

http://www.hitachi.c...u/pr-MMP501.seo
Mazdaworld Federation - Special OPs Unit
"The silver glow of the starlight in the night sky forever beckons us to a far greater reality; it is only in death that we accept the invitation." -The Great Troutman, Nov 18, 2008
'07 Holden Caprice

#17 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

meow baby... >^,,^<

• Supporters
  • 64,860 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:24 PM

Looks really cool Trout, but the price is a bit more than I want to shell out right now.

#18 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

meow baby... >^,,^<

• Supporters
  • 64,860 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:19 PM

Hubby decided on the Garmin Nuvi 650.

He liked the features and options.

Now, the problem is...where to put it.

Gotta doesn't want it on the window or the dash.

#19 Jdubs99

Jdubs99

• Supporters
  • 877 posts
  • Interests:My Car, Hitting the Gym, My Family, Fishing, Car Shows, Car Audio and Electronics, Computer Games, Occasional Partying

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:00 PM

I decided just to switch my cell phone service from Tmobile to Verizon. The maps on Verizon phones are updated every month, unlike dedicated GPS touchscreen systems.

If you really want a dedicated system, the 650 is nice, just keep in mind that map updates inside the first year of ownership are free, but after that it's 60-75$ per update, once a year is recommended. In my mind, paying my regular cell bill for free updates is a better option.
"They ain't trippin on the flowmasters.." - Bubb Rubb
Who Dat Ninja? - Tracy Jordan
Who drives 70 miles roundtrip for a six-pack??? ME.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2417405

#20 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

meow baby... >^,,^<

• Supporters
  • 64,860 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:28 AM

I thought of that, but am tied into our current cell carrier for another year.

Don't wanna pay a $250 early termination fee.