How Junkyard Works

enginph

I need some advice on shopping from junkyards. How does it work did you go there and look for a milly. Do you take stuff out yourself? Can i shop online (those guys always ask for email, phone i never gave them).. Is it cheap? How much would i pay for a say 01-02 17'' non-chrome rim? I need some stuff i couldnt find.. Rim, speaker, armrest, middle visor, headlight covers, well long list..

The best way is to ask around with people you know are car junkies... preferably in your area. Not all junkyards are U-pick, some you have to get their people to take parts off. Which is what I found near me, but there were 3 Millenia inside, 95,97 and 00. Make sure you know the new price of the part you are looking for, and also then look online for used prices. Sometimes at U-pick places they have NO IDEA, so you can offer them a lowball and get away with it. I got my back door, complete with glass and interior panel for $225, I jumped at it because it was the same paint as mine.

I have only found 1 millenia at a junkyard, its where I got my rear trunk plate.

basically heres the run down, most places you go in through a gate and check in, find the car you want, then someone comes out to remove what you need or watches you get it out, when you leave if your carrying something it better be in a bag with a receipt or a paid sticker somewhere or its a walk in the desert wit ha shovel.

MOST places now have computers with set prices, msot you can shop online www.car-parts.com I think, get the part thats the price, some plder places you may bargain with a bit but not much.

The best thing about a millenia in a junkyard is 99% of the time they have no idea what there sitting on, to them its a mazda in a junkyard, oh you need an engine, ok 500 bucks...1 MCE and supercharger later your laughing quietly to yourself.

LOL, i should have kept my mouth shut at Besslers. I bet the owner scrambled after I raped that car of the EGR and solenoid valves. That engine is useless now.

:shifty: my U-pull has nobody on the lot to babysit. I swindled 6 solenoid valves from 2 Millys and 2 MAFS. If I had the money and time, I could have grabbed the Lysholm for $200. I might still have the opportunity. By taking the EGR and valves, I have given myself leverage with the owner even if he pulled the car off the lot.

I don't feel bad. I call it Karma. I'm a consumer with limited income vs. an industry that feels it can charge what it wants at the expense of what I'm willing to sacrifice to continue my life as is due to the primary priority of having transportation. As far as vehicles are concerned, I see it as keeping the financial balance between my past 4 cars up until now.

the engine isn't useless, and the junkyard doesn't know that, they'll still sell it.

Although seriously after looking, I have yet to find a single 2.3 engine that has failed, yes the S/C has gone bad on a few, but the engine itself seems to be rather bulletproof.

150 per rim is pretty cheap all things considered, sometimes you get lucky on ebay, 75-120 for an S rim