Finally, A Cai For The S...

For the second mod to my 2000 S millenium edition (the first being HID TSX projector, 95-96 headlight swap) I decided to custom fab a cold air intake. Here is the story:

Original air box assembly:

IPB Image

Say good by:

IPB Image

Its obvious where the new cone filter is going:

IPB Image

90 degree silicone grommet,mass air flow sensor, straight grommet, and custom cut aluminum tubing:

IPB Image

Close up, hole drilled for temp sensor:

IPB Image

New filter:

IPB Image

another grommet was wrapped around the base of the tube to protect it from bouncing around and a custom bracket was fabricated to keep the tubing from moving.

WOW, the throttle response is vastly improved, she flys to 90 mph effortlessly, and the supercharger is whining like a beast. Afternoon well spent...

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.. now you've got me thinking :)

How difficult was it to do, and where did you get the aluminium piping from?

BTW.. where is the CAI positioned? Under front bumper I take it? Or toward the right hand side because it looks like the pipe goes right.

As you said throttle response is greatly improved is greatly improved from 90mph and the supercharger sounds better - no doubt the performance has improved.

Also, does your fuel consumption / mpg improve with a cold air intake for everyday driving (so far that is).?

:hmm:

indeed it appears that you have done it, a true CAI, not just slapping a filter on.

And when will you begin offering these kits?

time is the only issue for me, if people show interest i will be happy to put together some more intakes, i made shure to record all the measurements.

Hmm.. now you've got me thinking :)

How difficult was it to do, and where did you get the aluminium piping from?

BTW.. where is the CAI positioned? Under front bumper I take it? Or toward the right hand side because it looks like the pipe goes right.

As you said throttle response is greatly improved is greatly improved from 90mph and the supercharger sounds better - no doubt the performance has improved.

Also, does your fuel consumption / mpg improve with a cold air intake for everyday driving (so far that is).?

i will be shure to check my mpg on the next fillup.

performance is like night/day, i was very suprised. I had made a custom intake for my old 2.5 which also had a remus exhaust and didnt notice much more power except at higher speeds. With the S however (no upgraded exhaust on this car yet), there is no more waiting for the supercharger, when i punch it she takes off from a dead stop, hits 5000 rpm and is at 45mph when you hit 2nd gear. I havent been able to stretch it out much yet because there is tons of traffic in the city on the weekends. On the highway, she is flying effortlessly, like i said earlier, 90mph feels like nothing, i use to just cruise at 75 but now i am going to have to watch my tach so i dont get pulled over.. :)

I got the piping off ebay, not hard to do at all, just some custom cuts and a hole drilled for the temp sensor.

the filter is located driver side (US models) behind the fog light, it is protected from the elements by the wheel well splash gaurd.

Pretty neat, I just want to point out the fact that my intake placed in that position is more prone to suck in dust, dirt and water/ snow, therefore I use it during summer conditions only. The filter will definitely need more frequent cleaning.

I am considering a heat shield to block some water/dust but as you can see from the wheel well pic, where the filter is placed it is very clean under there, the splash gaurds under the car and the wheel well cover encase that area very well:

IPB Image

It certainly looks cleaner than on my 00; I guess your different fogs is the reason. My fogs are surrounded by a fairly large opening in the bumper, letting in quite a lot of dust and sand and stuff, but of course also cold air ;)

are the fogs on the xedos different? or are you just missing the plastic surround piece?