Engine Reliabilty

Mazda engines, at least after 1988 or something, are known to be very reliable and able to go on practically for ever with proper maintenance. If the 2,5 is the best Mazda built, it should be pretty good. Now any engine can blow if running low on fluids or severely overheated, but that is owner related.

In fact the 2,5 is claimed to compete with the Lexus V8 engines for longevity.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my general outlook is that there great all around, but in the millenia, the 2.5 seems to fail.

and I should point out, the 2.5 is a ford engine, not mazda.

I have become very interested in rotarys lately, I really don't see why would ever fail, ever.

You meathead the KJ and KL are originally cast as the same block using the same crank, and the same main and rod bearings. The differences come when they are machined to specs. And they are both Japanese engines. If you think they are Ford engines, then by that same reasoning you're driving a Taurus. If you'd done any research before typing anything you'd know that the K series engines were originally a joint venture with Suzuki, not Ford.

Again more research is required. Rotaries fail at epic proportions. Their apex seals (piston ring equivalent) are the weak spot of the engine.

And I guarantee a higher proportion of 'S' s/c's fail, than 2.5 engines. Not to mention, the tranny IS the weakspot of the 'L'. It's hardly sturdy enough to pull a mx6 around, let alone the bloated milly. This has been discussed/verified on all mx6/probe/626/milly forums...read you moron.

MTS's s/c failed a few years ago, he's been running on an ebay special since (lucky fucker). Miller's failed last year, he bought one off ebay and wasn't as lucky as MTS. The one he bought looked brand new, but alas it was dead. And my wife's...that's an old story.

I know the older rotarys failed due to cooling systems, but if you read my post I said "I see no reason why they WOULD ever fail"

Given the design if coolant and luberication were taken care of theres nothing to really go wrong, 3 moving parts compared to something like 90?

I don't care what anyone wants to say, I said from the start I have no exact numbers, but you can go to any for sale section and find plenty of blown 2.5's, engines, not trannies, at under 150k miles, and no 2.3's

This isn't up for debate, just search anywhere

By the time the Millenia/ Xedos was introduced, even through most of its lifespan, the Scorpio featured an all iron pushrod V6 engine. 2,3/2,4 boosting 118/130 hp, and 2,8/2,9 boosting a full 150/145 hp. In fact they were so heavy the Rover alloy V8 has been known as an upgrade both for saving weight and adding power. The Cosworth 2,9 had alloy 4 valve DOHC heads though. Must have had the Ford management lose their sleep for weeks when they decided putting that one on the production line.

So Trout, you're correct. What a nightmare :rollin:

I don't care what anyone wants to say, I said from the start I have no exact numbers, but you can go to any for sale section and find plenty of blown 2.5's, engines, not trannies, at under 150k miles, and no 2.3's

Funny what a person might find on their own site if they'd take a second to look.

KJ Block

KL Block

Notice any similarities?

It's a sad day indeed. I looked around this site and to my surprise/distaste found that Lat has posted more info relating to the milly than most heteros here... :wtf: I could understand if a single homo posted so much info on a cooking or dancing forum...but cars...I blame it on poor leadership :o:lol:

The 2,5 has plenty enough power to propel the Xedos, if equipped with a 5-speed tranny. It is the auto tranny that soaks up too much torque, amplified by the crazy spread of only 4 ratios. Not matching the KL revband at all. At least not below 50 mph.

The 5-speed 2,5 is faster than the Miller Cycle from a standing start remember. 8,4 to 100 km/h is actually pretty fast for a 1500 kg sedan with 170 hp.

All these blown engines BHR keeps on about are most likely related to ignorant owners not giving their car proper maintenance. The only thing I can think of as a design flaw is the sensitive HLA's. Sensitive to ignorant owners that is. Other brands may have engines coping better with lack of maintenance. Read TOYOTA.

I don't care what its about, ignorant ghetto rats are all over, so there should be the same percentage of blown engines.

But when there are say 80,000 jeeps on the road and only 3 out of 300 on ebay are blown.

but there are 3 out of 12 2.5's on ebay that are blown, that raises the question.

you people keep talking about the block and this and that, I don't care, that is NOT what this thread is about, tis about how in low mileage its the 2.5's blowing, ren likes to blast the 2.3, but in reality only a very small number of people have had S/C problems, and thats not the block inself cracking, or a seized piston

Did repair costs ever come into play? Mazda's are expensive as hell to fix, my wife got a quote for $7000. Most people would rather sell it for parts than pay that. And for every blown engine, there's 300 that aren't blown that people keep. I'm saying that they're the same engine with a few minor changes. And all the 'S's that you find for sale, are you sure the s/c isn't blown? Which incidentally is more expensive to replace than the entire 2.5 engine. Numerous people that have visited these sites have decided to dump the 2.3 before it was too late.

jesus christ, this is the last time I say this, if your not going to check what I've seen the thread will be closed.

an extremely large number of 2.5's for sale are blown, and yet NO 2.3's are, plain and simple. I don't care about spots or reliablity, I agree on all that ,but that doesn't excuse the for sale, and I don't want to hear about owners either, ghetto rats sadly drive the S, and at the mileage the 2.5's are falling even a non male ghetto rat should get further

I have yet not seen any Xedoses for sale here not being in running condition. And even if it is rare, very few are for sale. Like now, 5 cars maximum. I guess all the owners are pleased with them and want to keep them :)

My engine sounds and runs exactly the same now on 150k km as it did when I bought it with 47k km. I do have a weird sound, but that is probably the torque converter. Drives perfect anyway.

Since you mentioned rev bands xedos, why in the world they rev the engine that much? Dont know too much about 2.5 but for S it can easily cope with power/torque requirements at lower rpms but the damn thing does 3000rpm at 80mph. Even civic revs lower..

The KL is designed for high revs, it is short stroke and has very light pistons and conrods. Maximum torque is obtained at 4900 rpm, fairly high. The torque drops from 5500 rpm, but not more so than it produces close to 170 hp all the way from around 5500 to 7000 rpm.

The KJ is clearly designed for midrange punch, 3 to 5k. As for gearing, I don't know which Civics you have there, but those here rev way more than any Millenia. Part from the new diesels. My Xedos 2,5 will do 40,5 km/h for each 1000rpm on the tach, which is a fairly tall gearing. The Miller Cycle has about 10 % taller gearing than the 2,5. Which means it should do about 134 km/h or 83 mph on 3k. Real speed, indicated should be around 86 I guess.

jesus christ, this is the last time I say this, if your not going to check what I've seen the thread will be closed.

an extremely large number of 2.5's for sale are blown, and yet NO 2.3's are, plain and simple. I don't care about spots or reliablity, I agree on all that ,but that doesn't excuse the for sale, and I don't want to hear about owners either, ghetto rats sadly drive the S, and at the mileage the 2.5's are falling even a non male ghetto rat should get further

Amazing, people want to nit pick me about details they don't understand, but they won't read over the most basic point of a thread,