Photo

Steering Techniques

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Steering techniques (9 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you steer?

1. Hand over hand (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Cross arm (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Shuffle (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Pull-push (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

5. Cool (0 votes [0.00%])

6. One hand (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

7. No hand (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Saint

Saint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:33 AM

1. Hand over hand: This is the most common form of steering. It is comprised of a series of pulls with hands alternating from the top of the wheel in the direction of the turn.
There is nothing dangerously wrong with this style. Its most contentious issue is, each hand pulls down on its opposite side creating a weak uncomfortable grip when each hand goes upside down. Many drivers compensate for this by placing their hand inside the rim of the wheel; a dangerous practice.

2. Cross arm: The hands grip the wheel on the opposite sides, about 1/4 to 3, if you can imagine the steering wheel as the face of a clock. The wheel is turned half a turn in either direction until the arms cross, before the hands change grip.

3. Shuffle: The hands grip the wheel on opposite sides at the same height, (10 to 2 or 1/4 to 3). The wheel is fed through the hands alternately. The only problem with this style is that it is inefficient whenever the wheel needs to be turned quickly, eg. parking or turning the vehicle around.

4. Pull-push: The hands grip the wheel on opposite sides at the same height, usually 10 to 2. The hands alternate the grip, moving up and down the wheel at the same height. One hand pulls the wheel down to the bottom where it meets the other hand at 6 o'clock position. Changing grips, the opposite hand pushes the wheel to the top where the hands touch at 12 o'clock, ready to change again for the pull down; etc. When the steering is turned to the desired amount, both hands hold the wheel opposite and at the same height as each other. To straighten the wheel, reverse the procedure. The last hand to 'feed in' is the first hand to 'feed out'.

5. Cool: (queer type)

2001 Mazda Millenia S, Brilliant Black, 140k miles
QUOTE(Xedosman @ Apr 4 2009, 01:38 PM) View Post
I wouldn't want to discuss car design with females and people with rear spoilers unless the spoiler is stock.

QUOTE(///BHRpowered @ Jul 20 2011, 04:07 PM) View Post
I like my idea.

#2 ///BHRpowered

///BHRpowered

Renegade Super Villain

• Forefathers
  • 92,128 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:55 PM

umm, push pull I guess?
Mazdaworld Federation - General/"Underboss"

2000 Millenia S...It's a car with stuff in it
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee...4.7, Limited, Quadra-Drive, Loaded.
2005 Audi S4...V8, 6spd, miltek
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee...5.7 Hemi, Overland, '14 LED headlights coming soon
2005 ZX-6rr...Muzzy, power commander 3, bixenons
1987 GPZ500...Vance Hines, full led, bixenons
2013 Lamborghini LP560-4 Spyder...possible twin turbo?
"You have entered, BHR's world. Proceed at your own risk" - MCfrank/zaocaddy
"BHR is more correct than you could imagine." - Troutman
"I guess we all proved BHR right.....again....." - Frankzao
QUOTE(SKI @ Apr 27 2006, 01:26 AM) View Post

First of all, we are smart enough to know that BHR doesn't really exist, he is an illusion in all our minds....

"The perfect weapon for terrorising Veyrons!"

#3 Saint

Saint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

I never do push pull althogh they say its the best. For higway i hold it in 9:15 position constantly. This gives enough room for any corners. One hand at times.. In city i cross the hands. When turning right, i hold it at 10 and turn it till 4 while the other hand is waiting to grip at 10, fastest IMO. For left turns are from 2 to 8. While cruising in city, either 9:10 or 10:15 or one hand. I incline forward in parking lots, much easier to maneuver. Palm is always on the side not in the front of the wheel, and hold it by "hand" not by fingers..
2001 Mazda Millenia S, Brilliant Black, 140k miles
QUOTE(Xedosman @ Apr 4 2009, 01:38 PM) View Post
I wouldn't want to discuss car design with females and people with rear spoilers unless the spoiler is stock.

QUOTE(///BHRpowered @ Jul 20 2011, 04:07 PM) View Post
I like my idea.

#4 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

meow baby... >^,,^<

• Supporters
  • 64,860 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:47 PM

I do a combination of 1, 3 & 4.

depends on the situation and where driving.
If problems are perceived by men, and men inevitably die, then there is no such thing as a problem. ~ Troutman

#5 Xedosman

Xedosman

Towing member

• Supporters
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:30 AM

Depends which car too. Whatever makes the wheels turn, but definitely not push pull. Ever. That's what the driving trainers try to teach you I guess, but do they know how to drive a car properly?

I put a flat hand on the wheel while doing tight corners or turning. One arm rested on the doorside knee while cruising. Twisty stuff arms crossed. Works for me.
The engineers hoped to modify the boot lid in order to minimize wind resistance.The easiest method involved attaching
a rear spoiler, though that would detract from the vehicle's lines.
Alternatively, the lip of the lid could be enlarged, though that would require significant more work. Naturally, the team chose the second approach, and set to work in a wind tunnel lab in Miyoshi. A while later, they emerged with the hoped-for design, which was both aerodynamic and aesthetically pleasing...

2000 Xedos 9 2,5. Stock features: push-a-button retract mirrors, 1500 kg towing capasity, tranny cooler, rear swaybar, pollen filter, roof rack mounts.

Ported heads, knifeedged IM, dropin K&N with wheelwell airduct.

IPB Image

#6 AngelOfDeath

AngelOfDeath

The Good AOD

• Supporters
  • 21,620 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:38 AM

alil of everything i guess

#7 Dallasaurora

Dallasaurora

5 Megatonnes of Oblivion

• Supporters
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

I tend to use one hand mainly and that's it.
Mazdaworld Federation - Vigilante

DALLASAURORA - A new breed of hero... IPB Image