These Cars Are Shunned

One of our largest insurance companies, If, offer insurance covering everything, including mechanical failure. You have to get the car approved by an approved garage to get the insurance, unless the car is brand new.

However there are certain brands and/ or models they don't want to insure. One reason is because the car is substantially more expensive to repair because it is exotic or very expensive, like Aston Martin or Maserati. Other cars shunned are brands or models with known issues, like Range Rover, and... does this surprice anyone; JEEP :P

Some brands are related to model, like previous gen. Audi A6 2,5 TDI V6 which is a major piece of shit car with all kinds of issues, while other brands are judged as generally under par, like Jeep. Hence no model relation, just the entire brand. And, like they say here, if If don't what these cars, neither do you!

Well, here it is, the list:

1 Alpine

2 BMW 650, 750, 850, Z8, Alpina- og M-versions

3 Aston Martin

4 Alle Audi with 2.5 Tdi engine (even certain A4, A6 and Allroad) all S- og RS-versions

5 Bentley

6 Bitter

7 Bugatti

8 Chrysler Voyager/Grand Voyager (pre 2003)

9 De Tomaso

10 Ferrari

11 Ginetta

12 Honda NSX

13 Iso

14 Jaguar

15 Jensen

16 Jeep

17 Lada

18 Lamborghini

19 Lancia Thema 8.32 and Delta Integrale

20 Land Rover (Freelander from chassisnr 324162 (2002) is OK)

21 Lotus

22 Maserati

23 Mercedes S600, SL600, CL600, 600 SE, SLR, all AMG-versions

24 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and 3000 GT

25 Morgan

26 Nissan 200SX, Skyline and all ZX

27 Opel Calibra Turbo

28 Panther

29 Polonez

30 Polski Fiat

31 Porsche

32 Proton

33 Range Rover

34 Rolls Royce

35 Saab 9-3 and 9-5 1998-2003. OK if engine lubrication issues is dealt with.

36 Subaru Impreza WRC/WRX

37 TVR

38 Venturi

39 VW Sharan 1.9 TDi automatic

Jeeps are damn more reliable then pretty much anything else on that list, and there hella cheap to fix

If they were smart they would put the millenia on that list, that'll cost you to repair. I have never had a single failure on a Jeep except those long after expected lifetime. Given that the car is punished offroad, driven through deep water, driven daily, and not even garaged that is quite a bit more

As it happens the Millenia was never sold in Europe. And actually the Xedos was rated as 4th most reliable car by ADAC in Germany maybe 4 years ago; best in its class. So you'd better face it; the Xedos is a superior car which no downgraded to suit market Millenia can ever be compared with.

The Xedos was built to last, not to mention cope with most things people do to their cars, like driving.

Coming to think about it, I can't remember seeing a single servey where Jeep and Land Rover are'nt close to the bottom. But of course, it can be a decade after decade coincidence.

I agree its of high quality, but you cannot deny any repair or part is quite expensive, and since that was a reason listed it would seem logical, I would bet a millenia is just as expensive if not more so to repair then any AMG or 600 series mercedes

The 93-98 grand cherokee's had almost NO problems other then tail lights and VC going bad on 5.2 models

the 99-04 grands only problems were so called "blend doors" which was only on limited models (mine haven't failed) and warpped rotors which was fixed in 02 with new caliper designs

05-10 grands, well other then people hating the interior color designs and some layout changes the biggest complant is the over engineered front fork style suspension which makes aftermarket lifts and kits very expensive and hard to engineer.

Parts for the Xedos are indeed expensive, at least here. Luckily there aren't many needed; part from rear shocks and discs/pads I have only had two issues: the knock sensor and the driver side seat heating. My driver side mirror was also replaced under warranty, but then I've listed everything part from occasional strange sounds. Not bad at 100k miles I reckon.

I'm sure your Jeeps have served you well. But inevitably there is a reason the brand came on this list, and it was hardly for being exclusive like say Maserati. Regarding AMG, I suspect the reason they made it to the list may be owner related, like Alpina. These specials are hardly driven by grandmas and thus the risk of serious damage is bigger. I don't know about other places, but here AMG are often driven by young yuppies doing well in the stockmarket and with driving skills not quite up to par. And as far as I'm concerned, Merc skipped all knowledge about build quality in 1996 in favour of marketing hype and fancy appearance.

xedos, the thing with Jeeps is lazy people who think they don't need to do anything, the same reason honda's fail...well no there crap

I will say that there are ALOT of diff and transfer case failures, but 99% of those are noobs who come on and thought they had to change the fluid every 60-100k or worse, had it changed at a shop and put atf fluid in it.

I would say hundreds of threads telling people time and time again, TC only works with a certain kind of fluid designed for it, it has to be changed every 30k unconditionally, idiots with 100k on the fluid and failures are not Jeeps problem, retards who don't put FM in the diff with the fluid is also not Jeeps fault.

Every problem below is something regular owner maintance would take care of, and frankly everyone says, its printed everywhere and people still ignore

1. TC fluid, change it every 30k, no exceptions

2. diff fluid, 30k for normal use, 12k with major offroading or water crossings

3. the engine runs hot, mid line doesn't mean anything, the temp gauge isn't on and off, its very sensitive, everyone says its normal, stop adding shit to coolant

4. come to a complete stop before shifting the TC into 4wd or 4-lo, why is this so hard? why do you get upset when there is a large bang?

5. thats right, spark plugs are to change, that doesn't mean you just skip out on them

Always nice to see upmarket german brands on the crappy side; so many Merc's I couldn't even remember all mentioned if trying :clap:

BHR, I'm sure you're right about mistreatment and using wrong fluids and all. But do you reckon Jeep is the only brand exposed to such mistreatment? How come the Toyota 4-runner, which compares to a Jeep, is listed as one of the best?

As far as I'm concerned, designing a car needing special fluids is retarded. I don't think Toyota would do that. Basically all Toyotas needs only 9 kinds of fluids:

1. Half decent engine oil as specified

2. Half decent coolant

3. Half decent ATF Dexron II for auto trannies, powersteering

4. Half decent GL4 for manual trannies

5. Half decent GL5 for axles, LSD approved if specified

6. Half decent Dot4 brake fluid

7. Half decent fuel as specified

8. Whatever washer fluid coping with -15 degrees C

9. A nice cup of coffee for the driver

xedos - its certainly not, but one the other hand people see Jeeps as die-hard go through anything, I'm sure hummer....h1 owners have the same mindset.

The biggest problem is that no Jeep transfer case takes the same fluid, alot of people complain about this but if they would look at how different they are they would see why, the 99-04 for example takes a special blend only found at the dealer.

don't ask me to explain how its different, don't rant on and say its just dealer garbage, tis not, search any jeep forum in the world and they'll all point you to failure after failure from non "mopar nv247249" fluid. Its weird stuff though, a very light cloudy color when new, no smell what so ever and very slippery, much more so then regular motor oil, almost like a thick olive oil

I really have no idea what the fluid is, in my 242...hmm to translate - 93-98 2wd/4wd transfer case in the grand cherokee's you could use off the shelf atf3, nice nad easy.

not in the wj...argh 99-04 grands, I have only seen 2 actual failures of the t/c, 1 on a ZJ...damn it 93-98 grand, and another on the wj...99-04, and this is in a good 5 years in the jeep world, both were used offroad a damn good bit, fluid was changed, high mileage and then one day its the exact same story, going down the highway and BAM!!! suddenly it feels like your in neutral leaving a large skid of oil and metal bits down the road.

damn it you people need to speak jeep

"wj 247 qd"

grand cherokee 99-04 with 4hi/n/4lo tc Limited slip diffs and 4.7 v8.

This mystery Mopar fluid is probably developed to aviod a transfer recall, due to a major designflaw. Bet it is expensive. My point is; Toyota would never do this. They would specify conventional gearoil, probabaly a GL4 on the transfer.

Crysler Voyager autotrannies pre 2003 are known to cope with 60k km's here. End of story. It is not a brand mentioned in the same centence as quality, unless a word like low, lousy, crappy, dubious, cathastrophic, shitty or similar is written in front of it. Even a Vastewagen Passat appears to be solid compared to a Voyager. The diesel version built in Austria is, unbelieveable as it may sound, even worse than the US gas versions. Mother of all lemons.

nope, noone had transmission trouble with many Jeeps except for 1 version on the much older v8, which was apparently down to an input speed sensor.

the TC fluid came from the factory and there was never anything else offered, runs about 7 dollars a quart, less then half the cost of diff fluid.