26 replies to this topic

#1 Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne

Hyper-alloy Member

• Supporters
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:53 AM

article

The 2010 JD Power Initial Quality Study (IQS) results are in, and the news isn’t great for Toyota. The IQS is based on responses from more than 82,000 purchasers and lessees of new 2010 model-year vehicles surveyed after 90 days of ownership in the United States.

Each owner/lessee takes a 228-question survey that has been designed to provide manufacturers in identifying problems and improving customer satisfaction.

It seems that customers aren’t entirely happy with their Toyotas, with the manufacturer dropping a mammoth 15 spots in the rankings from sixth to 21st, with an average of 117 problems per 100 vehicles surveyed.

The industry average for 2010 was 109 problems per vehicle, with just 10 manufacturers bettering the average.

The top performer was Porsche, with 83 problems per 100 cars, with Mercedes-Benz ranking in third position with 87.

Toyota’s luxury brand Lexus, which for years dominated the top of the JD Power results table and has built its reputation on quality, had to settle for a still impressive fourth.

Ford moved into the top five for the first time since the inception of the study 24 years ago. Other luxury brands such as BMW and Audi didn’t fare quite so well, with 113 and 111 problems per 100 cars respectively.

The bottom-trawlers included some big names. Land Rover was the worst performer, with a wow-worthy 170 problems per 100 vehicles.

Volkswagen’s apparent reliability concerns were also reflected, with the German maker scoring 135.

Mitsubishi (146), Mini (133), and Jaguar (130) also scored poorly. Land Rover is again at the bottom of the list, with 170 problems per vehicle.

The rankings are as follows:

Porsche - 83

Acura - 86

Mercedes-Benz - 87

Lexus - 88

Ford - 93

Honda - 95

Hyundai - 102

Lincoln - 106

Infiniti - 107

Volvo - 109

Industry Average - 109

Ram - 110

Audi - 111

Cadillac - 111

Chevrolet - 111

Nissan - 111

BMW - 113

Mercury - 113

Buick - 114

Mazda - 114

Scion - 114

Toyota - 117

Subaru - 121

Chrysler - 122

Suzuki - 122

GMC - 126

Kia - 126

Jeep - 129

Dodge - 130

Jaguar - 130

Mini - 133

Volkswagen - 135

Mitsubishi - 146

Land Rover - 170
"It's not a man, it's a machine. A terminator. Cyberdyne Systems model 101. ...The terminator's an infiltration unit, part man, part machine. Underneath it's a hyper-alloy combat chassis, microprocessor controlled, fully armoured, very tough. But outside it's living human tissue - flesh, skin, hair, blood."

WE DEMAND THE TROUT TO RETURN AND ALL THAT DO , ADD THIS IN YOUR SIG!

#2 ///BHRpowered

///BHRpowered

Renegade Super Villain

• Forefathers
  • 92,128 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

It should be noted that audi is rated above both Jeep and mazda, both of which I'v never had problems with.

These surveys are usually garage and aimmed more at jackasses who take the car in for anything to check it out, or first gen cars, instead of real problems like you know, the accelerator getting stuck
Mazdaworld Federation - General/"Underboss"

2000 Millenia S...It's a car with stuff in it
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee...4.7, Limited, Quadra-Drive, Loaded.
2005 Audi S4...V8, 6spd, miltek
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee...5.7 Hemi, Overland, '14 LED headlights coming soon
2005 ZX-6rr...Muzzy, power commander 3, bixenons
1987 GPZ500...Vance Hines, full led, bixenons
2013 Lamborghini LP560-4 Spyder...possible twin turbo?
"You have entered, BHR's world. Proceed at your own risk" - MCfrank/zaocaddy
"BHR is more correct than you could imagine." - Troutman
"I guess we all proved BHR right.....again....." - Frankzao
QUOTE(SKI @ Apr 27 2006, 01:26 AM) View Post

First of all, we are smart enough to know that BHR doesn't really exist, he is an illusion in all our minds....

"The perfect weapon for terrorising Veyrons!"

#3 Troutman

Troutman

--------------------

• Staff
  • 38,842 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:11 AM

Something doesn't make sense about the list Cyberdyne posted. Why are the most gizmo-laden, complex cars a la Mercedes considered more reliable than simple Jap small cars like Subaru?
Mazdaworld Federation - Special OPs Unit
"The silver glow of the starlight in the night sky forever beckons us to a far greater reality; it is only in death that we accept the invitation." -The Great Troutman, Nov 18, 2008
'07 Holden Caprice

#4 ///BHRpowered

///BHRpowered

Renegade Super Villain

• Forefathers
  • 92,128 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

becauses chinks make cheap garbage, then try to copy the gizmo's without understanding how they work.

It still amazes me that people are raving about the new iphone, yet all it does is 85% of what the palm pre did since it came out over a year ago

First of all, we are smart enough to know that BHR doesn't really exist, he is an illusion in all our minds....

#5 Xedosman

Xedosman

Towing member

• Supporters
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE(///BHRpowered @ Jun 22 2010, 11:53 PM) View Post

These surveys are usually garage and aimmed more at jackasses who take the car in for anything to check it out

Like dealer oilchanges?

I'm surpriced Vastewagen is climbing to new heights. Obviously Audi shares the internals. Go figure.
The engineers hoped to modify the boot lid in order to minimize wind resistance.The easiest method involved attaching
a rear spoiler, though that would detract from the vehicle's lines.
Alternatively, the lip of the lid could be enlarged, though that would require significant more work. Naturally, the team chose the second approach, and set to work in a wind tunnel lab in Miyoshi. A while later, they emerged with the hoped-for design, which was both aerodynamic and aesthetically pleasing...

2000 Xedos 9 2,5. Stock features: push-a-button retract mirrors, 1500 kg towing capasity, tranny cooler, rear swaybar, pollen filter, roof rack mounts.

Ported heads, knifeedged IM, dropin K&N with wheelwell airduct.

IPB Image

#6 Synesthesia

Synesthesia

Large and in charge

• Root Admin
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

Those surveys, along with the consumer reports best buys are nothing but scams and garbage, based on TRENDS instead of actual numbers.

One also has to think of the number sold and amount of problems.
Mazdaworld Federation - Commander In Chief / "The Godfather"

"In an Alex Ross-drawn, Paul Dini-penned thesis, psychiatrists ponder that perhaps the Joker is sane and fakes insanity to keep himself out of prison. It is suggested that he is completely in control of himself but is a savage sadist, and uses his disfigurements as an excuse to terrify and murder his victims. Ironically, the doctor who came up with this theory was Harlene Quinzel, whom Joker later transformed into his insane accomplice, Harley Quinn."

"Grant Morrison's graphic novel Asylum suggests that the Joker's mental state is in fact a previously unprecedented form of 'super-sanity', a new mode of perception to cope with the insanity of the times."

"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale blue moonlight?"

2004 Mazda6 V6 5-spd -_- 2006 RX-8

#7 Troutman

Troutman

--------------------

• Staff
  • 38,842 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:59 PM

Well for example, why would ACURA be above HONDA when Acura is just a more techno-laden version of the same thing. Ditto for Audi/Vastevagen.

As for the iPhone, Steve Jobs is a master of marketing. I think its biggest advantage is a brand name, aesthetic styling and mass public awareness.

“Only constant repetition will finally succeed in imprinting an idea on the memory of the crowd” – Adolf Hitler
"The silver glow of the starlight in the night sky forever beckons us to a far greater reality; it is only in death that we accept the invitation." -The Great Troutman, Nov 18, 2008
'07 Holden Caprice

#8 ///BHRpowered

///BHRpowered

Renegade Super Villain

• Forefathers
  • 92,128 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:18 PM

Thats the flaw wih apple, hybrids, global warming and democrats in general. People buy into the crap because there weak minded fools who want to see something flashy but don't care, or even understand what actually works.

How can lexus be 4 and toyota almost at the bottom?

#9 Xedosman

Xedosman

Towing member

• Supporters
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:06 AM

Costsaving. Just like Mazda.
The engineers hoped to modify the boot lid in order to minimize wind resistance.The easiest method involved attaching
Alternatively, the lip of the lid could be enlarged, though that would require significant more work. Naturally, the team chose the second approach, and set to work in a wind tunnel lab in Miyoshi. A while later, they emerged with the hoped-for design, which was both aerodynamic and aesthetically pleasing...

2000 Xedos 9 2,5. Stock features: push-a-button retract mirrors, 1500 kg towing capasity, tranny cooler, rear swaybar, pollen filter, roof rack mounts.

IPB Image

#10 Troutman

Troutman

--------------------

• Staff
  • 38,842 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:39 AM

Ooh, you can rate things
'07 Holden Caprice

#11 Xedosman

Xedosman

Towing member

• Supporters
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:19 AM

I agree such serveys may prove coincidental, but I always check the position of Vastewagen, Jeep and Land Rover. As long as two of them is amongst the three worst, I find it reasonably trustworthy.

Mazda and Toyota builds crap compared to 10 years ago, and are found in the region of average. Makes sense to me. In fact Honda is the stayer of the japanese manufacturers.

IPB Image

#12 Troutman

Troutman

--------------------

• Staff
  • 38,842 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:19 AM

I thought the Good Xedie was happy with his 6.
'07 Holden Caprice

#13 ///BHRpowered

///BHRpowered

Renegade Super Villain

• Forefathers
  • 92,128 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

So it makes the whole thing useless, They should doan impartial none obama comissioned list, and do it based on number of failure PER THOUSAND in relantion to number of itmes that can fail. Is it fair to put a rotary engine with 3 moving parts up against something with thousands?

#14 Saint

Saint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:55 AM

Wait for icar.

2001 Mazda Millenia S, Brilliant Black, 140k miles
QUOTE(Xedosman @ Apr 4 2009, 01:38 PM) View Post
I wouldn't want to discuss car design with females and people with rear spoilers unless the spoiler is stock.

QUOTE(///BHRpowered @ Jul 20 2011, 04:07 PM) View Post
I like my idea.

#15 Troutman

Troutman

--------------------

• Staff
  • 38,842 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:54 AM

It will be magical and revolutionary.
'07 Holden Caprice

#16 Xedosman

Xedosman

Towing member

• Supporters
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:40 PM

The 6 was the first car I was glad to get rid of.

IPB Image

#17 ///BHRpowered

///BHRpowered

Renegade Super Villain

• Forefathers
  • 92,128 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:21 PM

I liked the 6, but didn't need that at that time. My biggest problem with i is when it came out in 04 a fully loaded V6 went for 17k, prices starting at 13. In 2009 or 10 whatever the last last gen year was prices started at 18 and went to 31, for NOTHING MORE. Onl 9.4x inflation

I'm mixed on the newest one, It seems like a good car, but the front is a bit weird

#18 Troutman

Troutman

--------------------

• Staff
  • 38,842 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE(Xedosman @ Jun 1 2010, 04:47 PM) View Post

By the way... I like my new 6 shifty.gif

QUOTE(Xedosman @ Jun 25 2010, 11:19 PM) View Post

Mazda and Toyota builds crap compared to 10 years ago

QUOTE(Troutman @ Jun 26 2010, 12:19 AM) View Post

I thought the Good Xedie was happy with his 6.

'07 Holden Caprice

#19 Xedosman

Xedosman

Towing member

• Supporters
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:59 AM

My new six is a different piece of machinery, and will be allowed to stretch its legs while the Xedos rests after 800 miles heavy towing.

IPB Image

#20 Troutman

Troutman

--------------------

• Staff
  • 38,842 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:30 AM

O boy
'07 Holden Caprice