Since You Have The Intake Manifold Off...

mts

Originally posted by "JK Autosports"

While waiting for the UPS guy to come with your new knock sensor and other goodies, you might as well do a little preventive maintenance to show your car that you care...!

1. First, since your IM and TB are off, look inside to see if there is any carbon buildup/other crap. There will be more depending on your car's mileage... Mine has 48,700 now, so there was only a small layer.... It is a good idea to clean this out. Go to the auto store and buy a couple cans of carb cleaner. Spray it onto a rag, and wipe the inside of the TB, and the plate. For the IM, spray it into the runners, as well as the intake duct. Let it soak for an hour or so. After it has soaked, take it outside (away from grass and concrete!) and shoot water thru the runners to rinse everything out.

2. Now is a good time to check your right (rear) valve cover gasket for leaks! If there is a tiny leak, it will eventually become a big one over time. If you replace it now, you won't have to deal with it later. My car has a slight leak at almost 49,000 miles. I figured I'd replace it now, so I won't have to rip everything apart later down the road... The cost is anywhere between $20 and $30. You will also need a tube of high temp silicone sealant. Personally, I decided to change both the left (front) and right (rear) gaskets... The left one is also $20-$30.

Here is a pic of my leak... It's very minor, but I didn't want to overlook it:

IPB Image

Refer to this when loosening/tightening the valve cover bolts:

IPB Image

Mmmmmmmm cams:

IPB Image

Speaks for itself:

IPB Image

BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL WHEN PUTTING THE VALVE COVER BOLTS BACK IN!!!! NOTE THE DIRECTIONS SAY INCH POUNDS, NOT FOOT POUNDS!!!!!!!! I learned this the hard way lol... but I was able to get the other end of the bolt out with locking pliars... Then I got an in/lb torque wrench from Sears.... Damn now I have to try and find another bolt!