Shifter

Basically driving in "HOLD" mode shouldn't be bad... but remember that if you drive in "HOLD" mode, you won't be using your 4th gear!

"HOLD" mode shouldn't be used as a manual shifter (ie.:tiptronic, sport shift) because it is meant for "starting from a stop on slippery surfaces, when driving up steep inclines, and for braking assistance on downgrades."

Also note that

L-HOLD is 1st gear fixed

S-HOLD is 2nd gear fixed

but D-HOLD is 3rd gear but temporarily lowers gears for standing start

(The S position is helpful when driving in slow-moving traffic and when climbing a hill.)

If you drive in traffic, it is rather recommended to drive in S(second) than to use "HOLD" mode.

Driving in S without the hold mode use 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. So technically you can drive even over 60mph/100kmh, but you'll be revving a little higher than if you would be in 4th gear.

Correct. I use hold to prevent numerous up-and downshifts during inclines, and S to prevent general sluggish response and/ or said shifts. These methods does in fact prevent wear as shifting means wear. And I agree Lat, hold +S is great in slow traffic to avoid 1-2 shifts. Again, improved smoothness and less wear.

Forget about the owners manual speed limits. Those are for grannies or granny wannabes. Our cars are equipped with a revcounter, stay out of the red zone, mainly, and you're good.

If one knows there is other letters than D R and P, s/he should tell when s/he approaches the limit on a particular mode.

Anybody knows what S really does? If it changes the shift points or shifting harshness?

One down side of S+hold in traffic is it engine brakes when i let off the throttle. And I guess another clutch which reverses the motion engages.

S mode basically just makes 3rd the highest gear. I've never got this confirmed, but it seems to me like it alters shiftpoints too; allowing more revs on each gear with medium throttle.

Of course S+hold gives engine braking, but it is the engine that provides the breaking, through the torque converter which is basically designed for it. Try to engage L+hold and this is even more pronounced. I use L+hold on really steep and long declines, gives decent engine breaking.