Largest Tires On Stock Rims

Originally posted by Millerowner

I'm just about to buy new tires for the 16x6.5" wheels and was debating on a good size. I went with stock 215/55s last time and they just look a little too small for a car the size of the Millenia, didn't wear well and rode a bit rough. Considering the 5-6% speedo error result on the Xedos 9 road test, I definately want to go with a bigger tire.

225/55s would be fine, but I could go bigger still and be under the 5% error. I'm strongly considering 235/55R16s but TireRack's website only has about 6 tires to choose from in that size, so there's not much choice. However, that size should make the speedometer just about dead on accurate, should add quite a bit more rubber to the road and maybe even give me a smoother ride.

There's also the 225/60R16 option. They would slow my speedo by 6%, but there are more like 60 tires to choose from in that size and they are a lot cheaper too. They *should* fit. I've check for clearance issues and don't see any reason why a 225/60R16 wouldn't fit.

After going back and forth between 235/55s and 225/60s, I think I'm leaning towards the 225/60s. It means the difference between $275 shipped or $350 shipped. I think the 225s might look better. I'm thinking 235/55s might look really squeezed onto the 6.5" wide wheels.

the majority of 235 wide tires weren't made for a 6.5 rim. most of they list 7.5 as the min...

If the tire isn't made for a 6.5 rim, its going to mess with the profile of the tire(making it look squeezed). Possible the profile won't be flat anymore defeating the purpose of a wider tire.

235/55s need between 6.5-8.5 inch wide wheels with 7.5" being standard according to the Tirerack tire specs page. 6.5" isn't ideal but within range. 7.5" wheels become mandatory for 235s below 50-series.

The 225/60s call for 6-8 inch wide wheels with 6.5" being standard (probably to stay within 9 inches of section width). I should be okay either way.

I've been looking and I kinda like the Sumitomo HTR+ Ultra High Performance All Season. I used the same tire on the Mustang and was happy with them.

225/60R16s have been ordered. I'll be pissed if they don't fit. The only thing that would interfere is that end-link or whatever hovering over each tire. With my current tires, I have just under an inch of clearance. According to my estimates, they should clear with a little more than a quarter inch to spare. Hope I didn't make an expensive mistake.

Tire Rack always calls me at home before they process my order when I choose a custom tire size to "make sure" I know I can't return them once mounted which delays my order by a day or more. This time, I just ordered replacement tires for a 2005 Kia Amanti since that car seems to come stock with 225/60R16s.

Now I just need to figure out how to get them delivered and mounted without the old lady knowing. I can't be caught buying *another* set of tires. :rolleyes:

TireRack got the tires out fast. Delivered this morning and mounted this afternoon. I had the guys mount and balance one tire and test fit it on the front and rear. Clearance around suspension components has been slashed but is still within acceptable limits. 235/55R16s shouldn't be a problem either. This also means 235/50R17s or 225/55R17s shouldn't be a problem on the 17 inch wheels. Looks like things might start rubbing if the tires get much bigger than this though.

These tires also make the car look really low. The load index of the tires has also gone from 91 to 98 which means I can run less air pressure in the tires for an even *more* comfortable ride. The millenia does not like firm tires. My old BFG 215/55R16s had a terrible ride compared to my current Kumho 215/50R17s on much heavier wheels.

I have a question pertaining to this topic.....because I think you stated that the largest permitted tire on this car is basically a 17". I do want to buy a larger tire that won't make my car look gaudy, nor do I want the car to look lowered. I'd like to basically fill the wheel well just a little bit more, and have a comfortable ride. I like the tires size for the Mazda 6 S sport VE - i think those are 17", or the Acura TSX wheels....something like that. I'm already looking for 17 rims, just wanted to know which tire is going to give the best, shock absorbing, floating on air type ride that will fit this car and won't look incredibly huge sidewall.

Thanks for the feedback

255 40R 17s will fit the stock rim.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image but they will tramline hardcore

Yeah, I remember you putting those huge 255s on the stock 17x7s. I was amazed that they fit at all. The guy mounting your tires must have been a bit pissed…heh heh. The manufacturer recommendation for 255/40s typically calls for an 8.5 inch wide rim as a minimum. 255s don't look all that wide when mounted on 7 inch wide wheels really. They almost look closer to a 235. I don't have any experience with fitting tires outside the recommended widths. I've heard everything from "no problems at all" to "tire failure" as far as going excessively wide on narrow rims. A half-inch fudge factor I can probably look past. I believe GM has a few tire fitments on stock wheels that are a half inch too narrow but are nonetheless recommended by both GM and the tire manufacturer themselves. Bridgestone or Dunlop would likely frown on a 1.5 inch wheel width discrepancy though, but if the tire tread wears properly and the inflation pressure keeps the tire from rolling over or running excessively hot when cornering, then it's hard to argue against it.

As far as going outside the usual 215/55R16 or 215/50R17s and staying within the rim recommendations, the safest bet is just going with 225/55R16s or 225/50R17s. 225s would be visually taller and wider but only by a little bit if you're used to looking at the stock tires everyday. If you want a bigger tire but want to keep a little of the low-profile look of the 215/50s, this might be the way to go.

Going up to 235/55R16s or 235/50R17s shouldn't be a problem either given that there's plenty of room horizontally for Tom's 255s and plenty of room vertically as my 225/60R16s fit. As far as how they will look, the 17s will lose much of the "low-profile" look in favor of fender filling section width. The 16s will completely lose what little of the "low-profile" look they might have had, but again, the tire width will look substantial compared to stock tires.

In either case, the ride will either remain about the same or improve depending on your selection of tire and what kind of tires you're replacing.

My general recommendation is to go with the 235s. They're considerably wider and the best you can do on factory wheels while staying inside the recommended rim widths. They fix the inherent speedo inaccuracy down to +/- 1%. Rotational speed per mile for the average 235/55R16 or 235/50R17 is right on 5% slower than that of the stock 215/55R16 or 215/50R17s. This is according to the Xedos test that ran between 4.5% to 5.5% positive error on the speedo when converting for Millenia tire sizes.

As far as making the millennia look lower. Taller tires will decrease perceived fender gap somewhat, but not by much if you're using stock springs. I only mentioned the lowness because my car's been lowered with Eibach's, so small changes in fender clearance are noticeable to me. Expect about a half inch "lowering" by going to 235s or about a quarter inch with the 225s. This also means that if you go with 18 inch wheels, 235/45R18s might be the size to start with or maybe even 255/40R18s. Although as you go up in diameter and lower in profile, the tire's sidewall becomes less rounded and more squared-off which can cause suspension interference.

Yikes 255s on a 7" wide rim. I just put 235/40 on my 18x8.5 rims and they fill it up nicely, no tire stretch at all. I did notice though, with my Eibachs and the 70lb sub box in the trunk there is no way I can drive around with three people in the backseat without fearing my tires will rub with the slightest uneven surface.

Roll the fenders. :thumbsup:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/tools/fenderlip.jsp

Here's what 225/60R16s look like. Definately taller and wider than the originals. For winter wheels, they're perfect. If I were using the 16s year-round, I probably would have gone with the 235/55s for a slightly wider and lower profile.

IPB Image

i didn't want to put a 17" tire on a 16 rim.....I'm actually going to go buy another set of rims, and i'm thinking i'm going to go with 18, but i just wanted to know the best tire to put on the 18 (i know i originally said 17, had a change of heart, might as well buy something that actually looks bigger)