Factory Stereo/cd Removal

I just spent the better part of a day trying to get my factory stereo out of my 2000 S. I did lots of searching on how to do it and finally got it out. I thought I'd snap some pics and post them up since I had such a hard time finding them and visualizing what I was trying to do.

This post has to do with using/making din tools and the tabs that have to be pressed to get the head unit out. In order to get to those holes, you need to pry off the plastic side tabs, which come out very easily. Just be gentle.

As far as using the din tools to get the radio out of the the dash, I found it's a finesse operation. When I used them on my old Volkswagen, I just rammed them in there and it popped out, not the case with this one. I made din tools from an old wire coat hanger, they work fine, like I said you just have to be patient and work them a little. Here are the pics I snapped, hopefully they'll help someone down the road who does a search for this topic.

Here's what the tabs look like that you're trying to release. You can see how the din tool is only inserted about 1/2" to 3/4" in order to push on the 2 (4 total per side) small release tabs.

IPB Image

Here you can see how easy it is to slide the din tool under the release tabs (the top is correct, the bottom is UNDER the tabs). There is a side view and a front view so you can see the type of angle you need to insert the tools properly.

IPB Image

They don't go straight in, angle them in there towards the outside to ensure you have the tools on the tops of the release tabs. Again, top is correct, bottom tool is under tabs

IPB Image

IPB Image

When you get the tools in there properly, you feel them pushing on the tabs. There will be a spring-like resistance when you gently push outward with the tools. I set one din tool, made sure I felt the tabs, then left it there and did the next one until all 4 were in position. Then I gently pulled all 4 outward and rocked the radio back and forth until it was released. It took quite a few times to get it, but I got it - FINALLY. I didn't even realize the radio was released when I finally got it, it only takes a few millimeters to get it past those tabs then it will pull right out.

After reading all the problems people were having getting these things out of there, I'm sure this will help someone in the future. If you're close to Baltimore, send me an email and we'll get it done together if you're having problems.

Let me know if you have any questions, hope this helps.

Good luck.