S/c Replacement Guide

mts

[attachmentid=18]

SUPERCHARGER REPLACEMENT

Alright here is the method I used to do this job while the car was sitting on all four wheels and in the driveway. No need to jack it up or have an overpaid garage monkey to do this.

1. Relieve Fuel Pressure.

a. This by the manual is removing the Fuel Filler cap to release the fuel tank pressure.

b. Remove Fuel Pump Relay.

c. Start the engine and run until it stalls, restart couple times to ensure lines are empty.

d. Switch ignition to OFF and re-install relay.

2. It says to drain the Cooling System, I did not, and there is a small cooling line that goes into the Throttle body that once removed leaks about ¼ litre of coolant at the most. Use your discretion on this.

3. Remove the Dynamic Chamber Cover (no.1) (fancy name for plastic cover on top of engine).

4. Remove the Charge Air Cooler Duct. (no.2)

5. Label and disconnect the vacuum hoses and electrical connectors from the Air Cleaner Housing. Remove the Air Cleaner Housing (no.3).

6. Remove Mass Air Flow Sensor (no.6) and intake hose (no.7) from Resonator.

7. Remove Resonator (no.8), labelling all vacuum connections.

8. Remove both intercoolers. NOTE there are electrical connectors on the back of the rear (Right) intercooler.

9. Disconnect the Accelerator Cable. You can move this aside by putting in up on the wipers area.

10. Now I removed the Air Charging Pressure Unit all together. Remember the labelling again…. Many connectors and vacuum lines underneath, best is to take a picture of this so you can remember the routing of same.

11. Next remove the vacuum lines and connectors (LABEL) that cross the supercharger and fuel rails.

12. Save the gaskets if they are in good shape.

13. Remove the throttle body. You will have to remove the larger hose from the right of the throttle body to make this easier.

14. Now remove the fuel rails, the rear one you can remove the flex line off the end (should replace the copper crush washers x2). Undo the nut and bolt holding down the rail, lift the rail off the bolt (straight up) and you can tip it to the left side of the car and back out of the way.

15. Now on the front on, I removed the plug and crush washers off the rigid line, undid the bolt and nut on the rail, lifted it out and put aside. By removing the rails you can actually lift the supercharger out without removing the intake manifolds.

16. Now take 6 small bolts or plugs and plug the injector holes, so nothing falls into the cylinders. Make sure you clean these seats, mine had sand and dirt all around them, and so I took a small paint brush. Hold down the bolts/plugs and brush away all the dirt.

17. Now you can undo the supercharger by releasing the belt, put a 17mm wrench on the idler/tension pulley bolt (just below and behind the S/C pulley) and then turn it clockwise (towards front of car from top) and remove the belt form the S/C pulley. Then remove the four bolts that hold down the S/C. You can then carefully, making sure that all the lines are out of the way (rigid fuel line can be carefully bent aside) lift the S/C straight up and out. A little difficult to do this but better than having to remove the intake manifolds.

18. Once the S/C is out, lay it beside your replacement and remove any connections, gaskets, or plugs, to make the replacement the same as the old one. Really easy if they are side by side so you can see the differences.

19. Now to re-install go backwards through everything you have done, adding new gaskets where needed. Paying attention to the labelling and layout of wires and vacuum hoses. Clean all parts and surfaces while you re-install, this is the best time to detail also, these are all the places you cannot reach when assembled.

From start to finish it took me 5 hours until I was ready to start the car again. If you miss a vacuum line, the car will tell you very quickly. If you have laid everything out in order of removal, and labelled everything you should have no problems. Just work backwards through you layout. If you end up with extra parts, DO NOT START the engine, find out where you missed.

When you do start it, do not freak out if it smokes first time, there is a lot of oil and cleaner in the passages, that should go away if your new charger has good seals.

supercharger_replacement.pdf

Well done MTS, since friday night I have put probably about 40 hours alone into the site, so tonight I take a break with all subforums and everything working, tommorrow I will finalize search engine bots etc, but I will be transferring many if not all of the most important threads and topics to the new database