Panasonic Cd Changer Compatibility

mts

Originally posted by "mazda-fla"

I have a 1999 Millenia S with a Bose headunit and a 12-pin molex connector in the trunk for the CD changer.

What Panasonic CD changers are compatable?

I heard that the 1996 and earlier Millenia's have an 8-pin molex connector and are not compatable.

I have also heard that the Panasonic CD changers in the non-Bose Millenia's are not compatable with the Bose headunits.

Anybody know anything about this compatability question?

I don't want to upgrade the headunit at this time. I just want to get a used OEM Panasonic CD changer on ebay and put it in for the short-term.

Looks like I found the answer to my question:

1994-1996 uses an 8-pin molex connector.

1997-2000 uses a 12-pin molex connector.

2001-2002 doesn't have a cd changer in the trunk. It has a cd changer that is installed in the headunit.

I have a 1999 with a Bose headunit. I am going to look on ebay for a 1997-2000 OEM Panasonic that uses a 12-pin molex connector. If I can't find one in good condition that includes the cartridge and mounting brackets, for a fair price, then I am going to start looking on ebay for one of the Alpines (that you use a 12-pin Mazda to Alpine connector). There are about 5 Alpine models that you can use with the Millenia, if you buy the connector.

I hear that the Panasonic and Alpine have about the same sound quality, but the Alpine supposedly is able to change between the 6 discs much faster. But you have to buy the connector, about 40 or 50 bucks.